Culling?

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 5 year old hen who is suffering from water belly. It's to the point where the sack is no longer soft and squishy but its hard and she is not moving very much. We have talked about culling her, but for having chickens as long as we have had them, we have never had to do this. My question is, what is the best method? Has anyone ever used dry ice as a method? We have used it for smaller animals (2 pet mice) we had that have been sick with cancer, but I don't think my husband or I could wring her neck, though my husband says he could if he had too.

Any helpful hints or ideas? Thanks.

I’ve read about the broomstick method. Seems quick and one of the most humane ways to do it. I don’t have any experience though. I am sorry you have to make this tough decision.

I have used the broomstick method. Very effective and quick. Just don't pull too hard or the head can come off(unless that won't bother you, no judging either way). The hen will flop around and make lots of movements as the muscles die, but the bird will already be gone and won't have felt any pain. Good luck with whatever you choose. Deciding to cull is a hard decision and I commend you for not letting her suffer

Back
Top Bottom