culling

Absolutely, Paramount. It is a very well known fact with many experienced breeders that selection is everything and that even resistance to certain ailments can be selected for. I know guys with chickens who don't treat anything, other than with an ax, it's survival of the fittest with them for the most part. But most people still feel they must worm birds and use preventative coccidiosis medications, guess what, selection has created, and continues to, birds which will show no or very little mortality from coccidiosis and are very resistant/tolerant to internal parasite infestation. This isn't a cure all, by no means, but does go for things all across the board, and it works. I think of it like our birds have to evolve to life on our yards, which are all different, or go extinct, just like in nature. And we become the new and additional environmental force determining what they have to evolve into, and instead of mother nature culling out the fat, lazy, stupid, etc. we now cull all that don't evolve in order to create an adapted population. Sounds crazy or not, it's been happening for centuries.

I don't agree with culling or destroying any bird unless it has no quality of life. If a bird is weak or has a deformity I have a special place for them so they don't get picked on, however I will also not breed them, that way they don't introduce those genes into my flock. I feel every individual, is just that, an individual and they deserve a chance of living as much as the rest. I am in it because I enjoy and love my birds and I personal feel that its my responsibility to take care of everyone, not just my show birds. Am I limited on room because of this? Yes. Are there other negative effects from doing this like time, energy, money, and like I send less room for show birds. However, to me its very much worth it, knowing that everyone is fairly treated and well looked after. However different people feel, well, different. and that's there right. Not trying to bad mouth just trying to give a different perspective....

I'd have to think people like you are pretty good hearted people. But like you said, "different strokes for different folks." I don't even show, I just enjoy raising my birds, but don't feel inclined to run a hospital or special needs facility, although it's great if someone does.

Absolutely, Paramount. It is a very well known fact with many experienced breeders that selection is everything and that even resistance to certain ailments can be selected for. I know guys with chickens who don't treat anything, other than with an ax, it's survival of the fittest with them for the most part. But most people still feel they must worm birds and use preventative coccidiosis medications, guess what, selection has created, and continues to, birds which will show no or very little mortality from coccidiosis and are very resistant/tolerant to internal parasite infestation. This isn't a cure all, by no means, but does go for things all across the board, and it works. I think of it like our birds have to evolve to life on our yards, which are all different, or go extinct, just like in nature. And we become the new and additional environmental force determining what they have to evolve into, and instead of mother nature culling out the fat, lazy, stupid, etc. we now cull all that don't evolve in order to create an adapted population. Sounds crazy or not, it's been happening for centuries.

Could not have said it better.

I don't agree with culling or destroying any bird unless it has no quality of life. If a bird is weak or has a deformity I have a special place for them so they don't get picked on, however I will also not breed them, that way they don't introduce those genes into my flock. I feel every individual, is just that, an individual and they deserve a chance of living as much as the rest. I am in it because I enjoy and love my birds and I personal feel that its my responsibility to take care of everyone, not just my show birds. Am I limited on room because of this? Yes. Are there other negative effects from doing this like time, energy, money, and like I send less room for show birds. However, to me its very much worth it, knowing that everyone is fairly treated and well looked after. However different people feel, well, different. and that's there right. Not trying to bad mouth just trying to give a different perspective....

That is perfectly alright, Power.

From a personal perspective, even though I do cull, one thing I don't believe in, is waste. As long as they were healthy, I send them to the freezer. If they are a bit on the tough side, they supplement my dog's food.

Thank you for the kind words fowlsessed, I do understand were your coming from. Paramount I think using the birds as you do is awesome, that way there bodies and life's are not wasted and serve a purpose.

i dont and dont incline to eat any of my pigeons (sick or healthy ) and i dont feed them to my dog i only burry them i have about 7 birds buried i cant seem to find any place that does pigeon meds so the only thing i do is garlic vitimans clean out the loft and disenfect it every month and i have never really had a big loss of pigeon deaths yet in the 4 years i had them when i race i will figure out what to do with culls i keep loosing many ybs they seem to just fly away :(

AARONTHEMAN foys pigeon supply's sells tons of pigeon stuff including just about every med you can think of....they are a good company and I(or my family) have been getting stuff from them for 20+ years. They have a website and catalog http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/ and their phone number is (724) 824-6889..

Back
Top Bottom