"culls?" What to do with them?

silkielovr

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Oklahoma
I am reading lots here about breeding for color, feathers, different qualities and about using two or maybe more breeds to create a certain "look" or new breed.
My question is this...what do you all do about the ones who don't measure up, the ones whose genes don't show the way you wanted, the fraction that comes out wrong?
I'm serious about this.......how do you dispose of them?
Give them away, take to auction, KILL?
Any suggestions?
I don't have any right now that are unwanted, but when I do........whats the best solution?
Surely not to flood the chicken world with culls?
thanks

I post mine on Localsalesnetwork. I end up with sooo many roos, and we don't eat them so....

It's sometimes easier to rehome roos if you have an extra hen to offer with it. I sell less-than-perfect girls locally as layers too.

There are several things you can do with them. The more 'popular' thing to do with culls is to rehome them. Stick them on craigslist or local classifieds for sale or free. You can eat them (depending on the breed), cook them for your dogs, or even sell them to a taxidermist.

I butchered my extra roo. Stuffed him with an onion, rubbed seasoning salt and sage... basted with butter and had lunch for a couple days!
boiled down the rest and made Pot Pie!
Some people just don't have the heart and try to find a home.
Nothing wrong with either option in my opinion. It can sometimes be difficult to find homes for roosters, the paper has at least 1 free roo post in it every week.

So far we've put some on craig's list, sold some at local auction, given some away (word of mouth), boiled them down & put them in pies, casseroles & suchlike, skinned some & put in freezer.
We're running out of things to do with them & we've still got a long way to go.
hmm.png

Roosters are very, very hard to give away if you live in a rural community like I do. So I have to either cull them at about 6 weeks old, when I'm positive they're roos, or butcher them at 6 months.

The six-week olds get tossed into the field for the buzzards. (I know, but they gotta eat too!) The older birds are skinned, then I take the legs, breast, and gizzard. Not really enough meat on the wings or back to make cleaning them worth while, so I don't.

My kids won't eat any birds they "knew," so I usually mix roo meat with store bought chicken to make a meal. And sometimes I cook them just for me! I like meat that's a little tough anyway.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

PS: I love hatching eggs, and it's cheaper in the long run, but the downside is getting 50% roos. I don't know what Mother Nature was thinking!

Last edited:
We take some to swaps or auctions and are very clear when we sell them that they are not show quality. If a bird has a DQ or defect I tell them straight out. We will put $2-1.50 on the roos to sell, I get $8-10 for a young Standard Cornish roo.

We make an effort to get our extra show quality birds to 4-H kids and sometimes sell to other breeders.

I like my standard breeds because they can go in the freezer.

I don't think it'd be right for me to hatch any chickens that I am not willing to *commit* to either keeping (or 'keeping til or unless I find another home for') or eating.

So, we have a certain number of curries and stews around here
smile.png
Much better than supermarket chicken, too.

If you don't want to eat them yourself (ones that can't be found another upright-alive home) then there are usually people willing to take 'em, for free at least, for THEM to eat.

If you don't want spares eaten but can't give/find them all homes, you are breeding too many chickens IMHO and need to rethink the concept.

(edited to clarify: I do not mean "you" specifically, I mean anyone

Pat

Last edited:
Good ideas, except I can not kill one and my husband can't either.
So far as I siad I haven't gotten any to "get rid of" but I know I will have some I don't want or need, and I'm talking about hens and roos both.
I want to raise some really nice Silkies and the ones I don't really care for need to go....but I hate to put them out there as pet quality because sure enough some one will think they can show them or use for breeding, [which they can] but in MY mind I all ready decided they weren't good enough soooooo
Does any of this make sense????
Eat a Silkie???
roll.png

Silkies are used in oriental cuisine. They believe that it is healthier, and has healing properties--there's actually a good demand for them for eating.

Back
Top Bottom