Curiosity has the best of me - Vegetarians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All animals eat things that we would not. That's the point, they convert it to something that tastes good.

I think that it's unfair of you to bring religion into this because we are not allowed to respond with a different point of view. UNLESS A MOD. GIVES PERMISSION, PLEASE!

Someone listed all the bad things that are alleged to happen to you if you eat pig. What, any pig at all? What about including pig in a balanced diet? In any case, something will get all of us one day and then we shall rot away and probably our atoms will become animal food.

Umm, maybe. But everything that taste's good... Is it all good for you? No.

Infair... I way disagree. And I don't have a religion. I have a Faith in Jesus. But as you said I'm not going to debate that on this thread at this time.

A pig with a balanced diet you say. Well, you can't totally control what a pig eats unless you keep it in a factory and that is what 99% of people on this forum are against. Do you disagree?​

Quote:

Infair... I way disagree. And I don't have a religion. I have a Faith in Jesus. But as you said I'm not going to debate that on this thread at this time.

A pig with a balanced diet you say. Well, you can't totally control what a pig eats unless you keep it in a factory and that is what 99% of people on this forum are against. Do you disagree?

I do, I comletely disagree.

I move a year ago to the country to ensure everything I eat I can grow the way I want it too and it sure as poop isnt raised factory or anything other that grass roots ....

my pigs are in a very large enclosed pen with trees, greenery, rocks and of course dirt.. they are fed hog grower and all the veggie scraps and fallen apples they can eat. They uproot the tree stumps and grass, move the rocks and forrage just like chickens... as a matter of fact my meaties and laying hens have done better jobs of uprooting stumps than the pigs, do you eat your own chickens.... do you know what they are eating, have you seen your chickens pecking at their own excrement?? ... just because these trotters aren't raised on concrete doesn't mean they are eating things which are unclean or disagreeable, well except the chickens!

All animals eat all kinds of things that a proper human would shake their head at.... Not just pigs.

Last edited:
Quote:

A pig with a balanced diet you say. Well, you can't totally control what a pig eats unless you keep it in a factory and that is what 99% of people on this forum are against. Do you disagree?

I do I comletely disagree, I move a year ago to the country to ensure everything I can grow the way I want it oo and it sure as poop isnt raised factory or anything other that grass roots eating .... my pigs are in a very large enclosed pen with trees, greenery, rocks and of course dirt.. they are fed hog grower and all the veggie scraps and fallen apples they can eat. They uproot the tree stumps and grass, move the rocks and forrage just like chickens... as a matter of fact my meaties and laying hens have done better jobs of uprooting stumps than the pigs, do you eat your own chickens.... do you know what they are eating, have you seen your chickens pecking at their own excrement?? ... just because these trotterss aren't raised on concrete doesn't mean they are eating things which are unclean or disagreeable, well except the chickens!

Back and forth we go
tongue.png

Everything you say. You can control what they dig up?

And actually.. I don't eat my free rangers. I eat meaties that I move in a portable pen around my yard where there is only grass and they never go past that. But one of these days I might eat one of the free rangers...

I'm not saying it will kill you or anything, I'm saying that it isn't at all the best meat you can eat... It's one of the worst. I eat it sometimes! Though it is the most eaten meat in the world...

Last edited:
My point Matthew is that even those meaties will eat anything given the opportunity. My meaties.... cornish x or whatever free range, they can and have distroyed a pasture the lambs and goats only put a little dent in this year....... they eat the grass, the dirt and anything they can and will get at; one I culled this morning had a feather in its crop. Personally putting the meaties and moving a tractor is one step above confinement.. but that's just me. Lots of people build big beautiful tractors and move their meaties every "insert time period here".

You don't condone pork and I don't condone putting chickens in a tractor and moving them about. Doesn't make me right or wrong... you either. I guess what I am saying is I try and not shove my beliefs down anyones throat... we all need to do what is best for us and our families and the nice folks on BYC assist when and if we have questions.... and I have lovely home grown bacon et el... that has been lovingly raised and given a wonderful life while they were here.

Cheers all

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
A religious discussion you say... I'm not going into that. I'm just saying that many many people follow that part of the Bible about what is good for you and what is not.

It's a fact—ham, sausage, and bacon strips will go right to your hips. Eating pork products, which are loaded with artery-clogging cholesterol and saturated fat, is a good way to increase your waistline and increase your chances of developing deadly diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's, asthma, and impotence.

Even non-Christians believe it.

Matthew​

Bah..humbug! I dont believe in ANY of that crud...
Although i do have fat hips... hmm....
hmm.png

salmonella

People need to update their information more often. Pastured pork makes a pig high in stearic acid and other goodies. Just like free range chicken eggs are higher in omega 3 and extra goodies and grass fed beef is also healthy. Eat grass fed galloway beef and it has the same profile as skinless chicken and fish (minus the heavy metals). The cholesterol and salmonella in meat comes from high corn diets in animals that weren't designed to eat it. Cheap subsidized corn changed all that and more. Find a local natural farmer if you can and skip the grocery store. Don't eat processed foods. Minimizing the chemicals you are exposed to will make you feel a lot better. Thats why some people are unable to go back to store bought meat. They have lost their tolerance.

In the past we had to cook the crap out of pork literally to avoid parasites. That has now gone the way of the dickie bird the same way eggs are now good for you when they used to be evil. Trichinosis is no longer a threat. Guess what, we also need more fat in our diet then previously thought as well. This does not mean pigging out.

On the note of vegetarianism, my daughter is veggie because she too cannot digest meat. She is very careful though to not be a pizza veggie. The rest of us are meat eaters and I raise our own and sell as well.(small farm) One reason often given for going vegetarian is that one doesn't believe animals should die to feed people. I accept the idea but it is very idealistic. What will happen when every one stops eating meat to save the animals? What will happen is that they will go extinct. The unfortunate fact is, that the world is now a very small place and there is no room in it for non money making free loaders. There won't be great herds of cattle, pigs and goats running free, if they can't pay for themselves they will be gone. Since they can't get a job, i.e. all the new vegetarians won't eat them, who is going to foot the bill to keep them or provide the land base they need to survive. What group of multli- millionaires is going to pay for a small army to do all the chores and produce all the feed since these are domesticated animals. Zoos certainly aren't the answer and the farmers will be busy growing vegetables which are now the sole money makers; they certainly won't be feeding the profits to those 4 legged free loaders as they can barely make a living as it is. Just my thoughts.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Good point. it is truly bizarre when you realize all the trouble we have gone to use up cheap subsidized corn by force feeding it to animals that are incapable of digesting it!

It causes serious health issues in the animals, so they have to be given antibiotics, and creates a Ph in the gut where bad bacteria can thrive, making our meat less safe for us.

Not to mention what it does to the nutritional value.

It seems so twisted and sad that our society goes to such great efforts to produce huge amounts of a commodity crop that is destroying the nutritional value of our food system.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do I comletely disagree, I move a year ago to the country to ensure everything I can grow the way I want it oo and it sure as poop isnt raised factory or anything other that grass roots eating .... my pigs are in a very large enclosed pen with trees, greenery, rocks and of course dirt.. they are fed hog grower and all the veggie scraps and fallen apples they can eat. They uproot the tree stumps and grass, move the rocks and forrage just like chickens... as a matter of fact my meaties and laying hens have done better jobs of uprooting stumps than the pigs, do you eat your own chickens.... do you know what they are eating, have you seen your chickens pecking at their own excrement?? ... just because these trotterss aren't raised on concrete doesn't mean they are eating things which are unclean or disagreeable, well except the chickens!

Back and forth we go
tongue.png

And actually.. I don't eat my free rangers. I eat meaties that I move in a portable pen around my yard where there is only grass and they never go past that. But one of these days I might eat one of the free rangers...

I'm not saying it will kill you or anything, I'm saying that it isn't at all the best meat you can eat... It's one of the worst. I eat it sometimes! Though it is the most eaten meat in the world...

You make it sound like we are free ranging in the town dump. There is nothing in the pasture that can't be dug up and found under your tractor as you move it around the yard. This includes chicken poop (there are chickens in the tractor I assume). As far as I know, there are no screens to keep bugs, mice, snakes, worms flies ect... from entering the tractor, and simple fact is, many of them are already there when the tractor arrives. You may not see them but the chickens do and they are eating them, unless of
course, the yard has been chemically sanitized and then that grass is not so pristine a food source either. I use chicken tractors and free range and the whole point of a chicken tractor is for protection not to keep them from eating things. A chicken in a tractor actually has a lot more inclination to dig then a free ranger who is busy traveling to the next best spot.

Also, you might want to (maybe not) find out what factory farm animals are eating. How about plastic pellets injected with nutrients to save money as an example. Hey they know what they are feeding, its totally controlled and its nasty. Wonder where "mad cow came from?" I'll take my chances on what the pigs and chickens dig up out in my chemical/plastic free pastures.

Quote:
Back and forth we go
tongue.png

You make it sound like we are free ranging in the town dump. There is nothing in the pasture that can't be dug up and found under your tractor as you move it around the yard. This includes chicken poop (there are chickens in the tractor I assume). As far as I know, there are no screens to keep bugs, mice, snakes, worms flies ect... from entering the tractor, and simple fact is, many of them are already there when the tractor arrives. You may not see them but the chickens do and they are eating them, unless of
course, the yard has been chemically sanitized and then that grass is not so pristine a food source either. I use chicken tractors and free range and the whole point of a chicken tractor is for protection not to keep them from eating things. A chicken in a tractor actually has a lot more inclination to dig then a free ranger who is busy traveling to the next best spot.

Also, you might want to (maybe not) find out what factory farm animals are eating. How about plastic pellets injected with nutrients to save money as an example. Hey they know what they are feeding, its totally controlled and its nasty. Wonder where "mad cow came from?" I'll take my chances on what the pigs and chickens dig up out in my chemical/plastic free pastures.

Town dump` ...
gig.gif
very good analogy, one I obviously couldn't put into words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom