1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curiosity is getting the best of me.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Christie Loves Silkies, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I know its a bit early to tell what gender my 8 week old Silkie Lucky is but I think curiosity is getting the better of me.
    I just want to know what you guys think if its going to be a girl or a boy.
    If its a boy i cant keep it D:
    I am from Australia so it may look a bit different to your silkies, but none of the less here are the pictures.

Horrible picture has Lucky wouldnt sit still:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucky is the bigger one.
    [​IMG]

2. Direchicken

Direchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Passage West
    Hi there. I think Lucky is a pullet. Have a look at the sexing guide on my BYC homepage, here https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=102688-sexing-different-breeds. Doesn't have very many breeds yet but Silkie is among them! I get the feeling that the swelling of the comb area starts much earlier for males than for females - look at the picture of George at 51 days (younger than Lucky), the comb and wattles are far more developed than on your bird. Another pointer in the direction of femininity is the shape of the crest which tends to be spikier and pointing back along the head in males, and more rounded in females. I think Lucky's is more rounded (though still filling in). I hope that's good news! Do you mind if use the pics of Lucky for the sexing guide? They may be slightly out of focus, but I think they show the relevant features pretty clearly. If so, I'd be really grateful if you could PM me to confirm Lucky's gender in a month or two, when you're absolutely certain!

Best wishes,

Mark

3. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you so much Mark [​IMG]
    I knew someone would be able to help me.
    I'm still kinda new to the silkie thing,so I thought it would be best to ask.
    I hope Lucky is a pullet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by