Curious about a few things?

towen91

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2015
my flock is made up of 3 hens and 1 rooster. They are just now starting to lay! I have 2 questions.

First, I used ceramic eggs to teach them where to lay. One of my girls wouldn't leave it, and sat on it for 3 days lol. While she was doing this, the other 2 hens, and the rooster wouldn't leave her side. I attached a picture. You can see Echo all the way in the back in the laying box, and the other 3 almost guarding her. I'm not concerned about this at all, I just removed the ceramic eggs, and all is back to normal. I just thought it was interesting, and was wondering if anyone had any information about this behavior?

My other question is regarding the pecking order of my flock. All of my birds get along really well, and there is no reason to be concerned about anything. However, one of my hens (Echo actually, the one that was sitting on the ceramic egg) I had always thought was at the bottom of the pecking order. I still do, but I was curious about one thing. She seems to be the roosters favorite. She is always connected to the roosters hip. If she wonders off, he goes with her, leaving the other two hens alone. The other 2 hens are best buds! Also, Echo is the only hen that has started laying eggs. Am I wrong about her being on the bottom of the pecking order? My other 2 hens eat and drink first, and the get first pick of where to roost.

Thanks for any interesting info!

When they first start laying they get a bit goofy behaviorally, I'm sure they are all feeling hormonal and maternal and were like rooting for her.

A bottom pecking order hen will often stick close to the rooster because he offers protection from the other hens and she can get the best tidbits he offers in exchange for more mating. I have even watch a rooster take in strange hens and protect them from the other established hens attacks.

When they first start laying they get a bit goofy behaviorally, I'm sure they are all feeling hormonal and maternal and were like rooting for her.

A bottom pecking order hen will often stick close to the rooster because he offers protection from the other hens and she can get the best tidbits he offers in exchange for more mating. I have even watch a rooster take in strange hens and protect them from the other established hens attacks.

Thanks for the info. I'm still pretty new to this. These are my first chickens. I've raised them all sense they were 5 weeks old. I think they are so interesting lol.

I spend hours watching them interact, I have a huge interest in behavior, chickens are quite complex and more intelligent than some give them credit for. Glad to hear you are enjoying them.

So far, the thing that has surprised me the most; is how friendly they can be. 2 of my girls run to greet me every time I walk outside. Now they have started sitting with me while I sit in my swing.

So cute, one year I had a whole passel of bantams that would help me garden and would come running like yours do every time I came outside, they would fight over the worms and like to help dig holes, sometimes they were not so helpful. Such fun.

Back
Top Bottom