Curious about barring

EEforMe

Crowing
Sep 5, 2021
Northwest Washington, USA (near Seattle)
I was wonder what colors of barring are possible in chickens. I know that other species of bird have barring (or at least what looks like barring) in plenty of colors such as brown and black or even blue and black in blue jays. Is black and white all that chickens have?

I was wonder what colors of barring are possible in chickens. I know that other species of bird have barring (or at least what looks like barring) in plenty of colors such as brown and black or even blue and black in blue jays. Is black and white all that chickens have?
Barring can be put on all colors, or in combination with other patterns.

For example: Red Barred(Barring on Red Columbian)

Black & white is the one called "barred" when it exists as a recognized color variety of a chicken breed. That a matter of what it is called, not what is genetically possible.

Chickens can have crosswise bars of white on any color, and they can also have gold & black crosswise bars on their feathers (example: Gold Campine chicken.)

The barring gene makes white lines (bars) across feathers of any color. Chickens with white barring get called by many different names, depending on various factors.

The chicken variety called "barred" is white lines on black.

The variety called "cuckoo" is also white barring on black, but the lines are not as crisp (same barring gene, different other genes that affect how it looks.)

"Blue Cuckoo" and "Lavender Cuckoo" and "Chocolate Cuckoo" are the same as Cuckoo, except that the black is changed to blue or lavender or chocolate (that is gray, gray, and brown).

Crele has white barring on a multi-color background (the gold and black are arranged in a particular way, not just any random arrangement.)

"Candy Corn" Polish chickens have white barring across a different pattern of gold & black (different than what Crele has.)

Stripes across the feathers can also be caused by other genes (not the barring gene.)
Gold Campines are an easy example of this (gold & black lines). It is genetically possible for those black lines to become blue or chocolate or white, still alternating with the gold lines. It is also possible for the gold lines to be darkened to red or lightened to cream.

Last edited:
I thought Partridge was closer to lacing? What breeds have barring that's called Partridge? Just so I can learn...
I took it as "barring on Partridge is sometimes called Crele"
(I don't know if I read it wrong or not, but that's how I interpreted the sentence.)

Back
Top Bottom