Curious about chicken language

LalaP

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
I love all the varieties of sounds that my chickens make! I can tell they have certain sounds to alert each other and they all make the same lovely sound when enjoying cuddles and being held. I’m just curious if there is a universal chicken language or does each flock have its own? Would your chickens understand the warning sounds that my girls make? I’m sure someone has studied this, right? I’d love to know more if anyone has any insight or knows of a study that’s been done.

These are the things I think about while I’m sitting with my fluffy bottomed ladies!

I love all the varieties of sounds that my chickens make! I can tell they have certain sounds to alert each other and they all make the same lovely sound when enjoying cuddles and being held. I’m just curious if there is a universal chicken language or does each flock have its own? Would your chickens understand the warning sounds that my girls make? I’m sure someone has studied this, right? I’d love to know more if anyone has any insight or knows of a study that’s been done.

These are the things I think about while I’m sitting with my fluffy bottomed ladies!
It seems to me to be universal. For example, my broody mama was raised by me, and I’ve never had another broody hen. Only her. When she has babies her entire language changes. She has different “come hither” or “go hide” or “stay away from my baby” sounds and body languages. It’s totally fascinating.

I think the basis is innate although they may be able to associate sounds with different concepts. I can understand most of what they say, but some of their sounds relating to nature of a food resource differ in a manner that makes sense to them but not yet to me. I now they can indicate a lot of something of high quality that differs from just finding a pile scratch grains. They also appear have a special call indicating water.

You can get them to squeeze out the calls by providing them eats in high weeds where they can not see each other or what the others see.

Back
Top Bottom