Curious about rain/cool weather - should I lock them up or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ANGELCHICK, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ANGELCHICK

ANGELCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Madison, NC
    I have almost 16 week old pullets and we've not had much rain this summer. My question is - its been raining here for a couple of days and now its very cool. I wonder do I need to keep them up, until their run dries out some or just let them be? I lost one a couple of weeks ago to impacted crop - just trying to be preventative. Don't want anyone else to get sick. Yes I worry... [​IMG]

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I never, ever keep my birds confined. I live in Michigan and my kiddos do fine in SUPER-COLD weather. If it is -10F at night, I might wait until it is 10 a.m. and 10F to let them have access to their run. However, they get access every single day. If your run has standing water or 4 inches of muck, you need to remedy that, but if it is just wet out, let them out to play!

3. ANGELCHICK

ANGELCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Madison, NC
    No, there is no standing water. I put my run at the top of a little hill in my yard so it drains well. If it was just cool or wet but not both. I hear my mom saying its "too cool and wet to be outside you'll get sick" when I was a child. Thanks for the input. You guys are a great support, I LOVE BYC!!

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    My chickens like the rain. Unless it's "storming". Then they go inside their coop. But....some chickens, I hear, don't like snow. But I don't think you get too much of that. [​IMG]

5. funkychickenowner

funkychickenowner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Sussex County NJ
    Let em go they are not that stupid they will stay out of the rain if you give them shelter but only if they want to sometimes they get drenched and have no problem with it.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I let birds free range. They like the rain but if it's raining to hard or whatever they will go into their covered run and coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by