Curious about selling fertile eggs

pinkmartin73

Chirping
Jan 29, 2015
Pickaway County, Ohio
We aren't looking to get rich. We will give away a lot if eggs. A few people have contacted me saying they heard we have chickens and would be interested in buying eggs when ours are laying reliably. Do i need to/have to disclose that the eggs may be fertile? Should I?

They will know that the eggs are fertile by the first egg they crack. There will be a little bullseye on the yolk. Some people don't like the idea of eating chicken sperm, lol, so I would let them discover it for themselves. It doesn't change the taste of the egg.

They will know that the eggs are fertile by the first egg they crack. There will be a little bullseye on the yolk. Some people don't like the idea of eating chicken sperm, lol, so I would let them discover it for themselves. It doesn't change the taste of the egg.

That's not true.

I would not say the eggs are fertile. People won't buy them if they know.

That's not true.

They will know that the eggs are fertile by the first egg they crack.  There will be a little bullseye on the yolk.  Some people don't like the idea of eating chicken sperm, lol, so I would let them discover it for themselves.   It doesn't change the taste of the egg.

That's not true.

They will know that the eggs are fertile by the first egg they crack.  There will be a little bullseye on the yolk.  Some people don't like the idea of eating chicken sperm, lol, so I would let them discover it for themselves.   It doesn't change the taste of the egg.

Tbh I didn't know about the bullseye until after I got chickens and looked it up out of curiosity. I can see how some people could be creeped out if they know. On the other hand, trader joes sells fertile eggs and charges more for them. (I don't understand the reasoning but kudos to whoever figured out they could charge more lol) I don't imagine those who are buying them at trader joes are part of my community. Around here people just like to know where their food comes from. They like that they can see clean healthy birds here. I just didn't know if I was required to make fertility of the eggs known. The neighbors I've given eggs to didn't ask and I didn't volunteer. ;) how picky can they be over free eggs? I thought charging for them might change the rules.

The bullseye idea is a myth. You cannot see anything until the egg has been partially incubated.

I would not tell people the eggs are fertile unless asked. People find the idea of eating baby birds unappetizing- except...

Trader Joes charges more because the eggs are handled better so that the egg survives. The eggs at grocery stores are for making balut.

The bullseye idea is a myth. You cannot see anything until the egg has been partially incubated.

I would not tell people the eggs are fertile unless asked. People find the idea of eating baby birds unappetizing- except...

Trader Joes charges more because the eggs are handled better so that the egg survives. The eggs at grocery stores are for making balut.

Well, duh! (Slapping my own forehead) why didn't I consider that is why they would sell fertile eggs? Lol maybe cuz that's gross!

I haven't actually cracked any of our eggs open. We've been hard boiling. Therefore, I can't prove or disprove the bullseye theory. I only know what I read here.

Right now our only roo is a bantam and we only have 1 bantam pullet. She isn't showing any readiness to mate or lay. Ranger (the roo) tries to mate the big girls but I'm not convinced he's been successful. Its a site to see him try lol

I just wondered in the future what my obligation will be.

You don't have to tell people. In the name of transparency you could, but know some people will be grossed out or offended.

I can say that the eggs my birds lay are fertile but I have only seen the bullseye a few times. It is a bloodspot, something young hens usually do because their body isn't used to making eggs. Some hens will lay eggs with bloodspots through-out their life, it is harmless to people. Good luck with your egg-selling venture.
wink.png

I don't think people care if they are fertile, what they are afraid of is cracking open an egg and seeing a developing chick. So what I do is tell them the eggs are collected daily and put straight into the fridge.

They won't begin to develop until they are sat on (or incubated to 100F), and a hen won't sit on the eggs until she has a clutch. So collecting them every day and refrigerating makes it impossible for development to occur.

Back
Top Bottom