Curious about the colour of this call duckling

rondspub

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 18, 2008
Last year I bought some hatching eggs from someone who (to the best of my knowledge) only had white and grey call ducks. I decided to hatch some of their eggs this year, and knowing nothing about call duck genetics (but understanding a bit about genetics in general), I figured that I would get mostly greys and hopefully a couple of whites.

The first egg to hatch was this little one. The markings are a sort of soft, chocolate brown colour. I know sometimes surprises can pop up when it comes to breeding, so I am curious what colour it may be? It definitely does not look like the greys that I am accustomed to. I tried looking at pictures online, and the closest I could find was blue fawn... Although I'm not convinced. Is it possible for a grey to appear brown, instead of black?

Unfortunately due to poor lighting, the colours photographed darker than how they appear in person. If it's sunny tomorrow, I can try to get some better pictures.

Attachments

• PXL_20210327_033245842~2.jpg
    PXL_20210327_033245842~2.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210327_033232141.jpg
    PXL_20210327_033232141.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 5
I guess I'm going to have to delve into the world of duck genetics. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing 😂

When you hatched your call ducklings did you have to help any in the lockdown stage? Did they all hatch alright?

When you hatched your call ducklings did you have to help any in the lockdown stage? Did they all hatch alright?
No, she was the only one out of five eggs. I cooled and sprayed them every day from day ten on, the humidity during lockdown was perfect. I candled them before putting them in lockdown and four were definitely alive, yet only the one hatched. It hatched in less than an hour with no assistance. The rest did not even pip.

Now when it comes to my chicken eggs, using the same incubator - I am getting 100% hatch rates.

Back
Top Bottom