Curious about the genetics

Discussion in 'Geese' started by livininbrazil, Sep 17, 2013.

1. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I have a trio of auto-sexing pilgrim/cottonpatch-type geese, which hatch out goslings in accord, and I also have 3 sisters of unknown breed, one is white, 2 look a bit like saddle-back cottons, except they all have orange/pink bills.
    Now, the gander mated with the saddle-backs and 2 goslings have resulted which look just like female pilgrim/cotton-type goslings, but the yellow area is a little brighter. (2 more died before hatch, but they looked the same)
    I expected a mix of saddle-back colouring, I´m surprised to see the goslings look so much like the auto-sexing. Does anyone who understands bit about this think that the saddle-back type females could also be from auto-sexing stock? I saw their parents in a mix of geese, I don´t remember the gander being white, I seem to remember all the birds were saddle-back/spot types,so then why would I get auto-sexing-looking goslings from them? Though the gander I have here is auto-sexing, wouldn´t that be lost if the geese aren´t? Anybody understand this?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Crossing the two breeds does not result in auto sexing off spring. You are just getting a mixed bag of genetics popping up on the goslings hatched.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  3. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, thank you Celtic, I do know that. I think I didn´t put my question very clearly. Thank you anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by