Curious question about male dogs

I have one who is just over two and only starting lifting his leg consistently about 6mos ago. Our older dog started lifting his leg when he was over a year as well.

Interesting. These two are my first experience with male dogs, ever. I've always preferred females. Jax was given to us and since we wanted a second from the same breeder, same bloodlines, it made sense to get another male.

Our 6 year old male (over 100 lbs) still squats to pee for the most part. Every now and again he will kind of lift his leg, but it's never high and he rarely keeps it lifted until he's done peeing. Usually he puts it down halfway through. My theory is he's lazy, but the size may have something to do with that.
lol.png
If I remember correctly the leg lifting didn't start until after his second birthday.

Interestingly, I had a male cocker spaniel (unaltered) who peed like a girl for the duration of his life.
hu.gif

My male dog lifts his leg when he is "marking" and usually when off our property on walks or whatever, but when he just has to go... he sort of semi squats. No need to mark here in his own backyard, its very well marked already and no competition since he is an only dog. Your younger dong is likely the submissive and he squats to show the proper respect. Ever heard of a "p***ing (please excuse my implied french) contest? Dogs invented the concept

My greyhound wasn't altered until he was over 2 and he squatted most of the time, but would lift occasionally.
My doberman, after being altered at 4 years old, was still trying to lift his leg when he was drugged up to keep him snoozing.. it didn't work so well, so he just kind of stumbled and stood and peed.

Some boys just squat.

Duke squats like a girl when he pee's, the only 'lift' he ever does is when he's peeing in tall grass and it's tickling his belly
lol.png
He's definitely not a dominate dog though, and was neutered 6 months.

Hazel does a lift every now and then when she marks something like a post or a hydrant. She's also unaltered, I'm rather wary that she'll get 'spayed fat'. I saw it on a breeders spayed females, before, good shape for a lab. After, they look like sausages and are still crazy active.
Cujo-intact and old-hikes his leg for everything it seems. Pee'd on my vacuum first time I let him in the house.

Back
Top Bottom