Curious Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Gonzo, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    [​IMG] I was wondering why do "threads" get closed? There was one we were following, (post office left baby chicks on door steps..) and it was closed. Why would BYC close a thread? My daughter asked me, I did'nt know what to tell her...anybody know?[​IMG]

2. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    i think the moderators close down the ones that are unhelpful, snarky, duplicates, or mean

there have been a LOT of mean posts this past week - i dont know.. might be the phase of the moon..

3. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Songster

There are a lot of reasons, look in the rules.
    I believe that one was closed because it had been resolved, and people had just started chatting randomly.
    Also, if people are flaming or trolling.
    Or if it's a double post.
    Or if it's a controversial subject-anything that has anything about fighting cocks usually gets closed faster than you can blink.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Thanks! I wasn't sure... I looked at the rules,but I did'nt think it would have fallen into any of those catagories

5. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Songster

Also, usually, at the end of the thread the mod posts and says why they are locking that thread.

6. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Songster

May 4, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, I don't belong to too many boards but definitely I haven't seen so many trolls allowed to flock to a section just to get threads closed [​IMG] And it's usually the same people too.

Ah well, maybe it'll be better the next phase of the moon [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The other problem is sometimes members WRONGLY perceive a post as mean or mean spirited when there was absolutely nothing there to back that up.

So we just all learn to get along.

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Quote:I tend to agree. Also, if there are a lot of complaints for whatever reason, it may get shut down, or "moved". It's generally a good idea not to question it though, just for your info [​IMG] The mods here know what they are doing.

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Good question!

I think it's been answered pretty thoroughly by you guys. The BYC Staff works as a team to make decisions about which threads are appropriate to continue on the forum. Sometimes threads are locked, but remain visible to our forum members, sometimes threads are closed and removed completely, and sometimes threads are edited and allowed to continue.

Although each of us on the Staff spends a lot of time on the forum just reading and "taking care of business" when needed, we do rely on reports from BYC members to let us know when something is going on that needs addressed. We love your reports and PMs because they help us serve the needs of the forum better. [​IMG]

In terms of how we moderate, as a general rule...the longer you're a member of BYC, the more you'll get a feel for how things work around here. [​IMG] We try to keep things (1) friendly and (2) family-friendly. That's why we're the best and biggest chicken forum on the web! [​IMG]

And I'm closing this since I think your question has been answered. [​IMG]

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    To add to Chicken Lady's excellent reply, I think it is important to add that often we get the request to close a thread from the original poster. In those cases, we will see if such a request is warranted and act on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: