Curious to what this is on this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenCop, May 12, 2008.

1. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I found this in the hen house today...some type of red ring around it, its raised so to say. Any ideas? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Looks to me like calcium deposits. Nothing to worry about really. Is it from a new layer!?

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Mine get that occasionally as well.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Curious to what this is on this egg?

A shell! There's a shell on that egg! [​IMG]

It's just extra shell and decoration the hen added to make it unique. Nothing to worry about. It's what happens when the hen has good calcium access and decides to get creative. LOL

-Kim​

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I have an EE that is notorious for doing that, she puts big clumps of calcium all over her eggs [​IMG] Apparently she likes to load up on the oyster shells, lol!

6. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the info folks...I was a bit concerned but i guess the oyster shells are working!

7. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Its definitely better than the opposite, thin shells that crack when you look at them.

8. bird_brain_scientist

bird_brain_scientist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    I landed on this thread when searching for info concerning calcium clumps on my EE's shell. BrahmaMama, I was interested to find that another EE owner had the same pattern. It isn't a problem with too much calcium in this case, though, because her shells are often paper thin in spite of the clumping, which I have only recently gotten around to addressing by offering free choice oyster shells. I think there is just something wrong with her egg-making system. About a year old.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    One of my EE's gives me eggs with a sandy deposit on it or bumpies.[​IMG]

10. bird_brain_scientist

bird_brain_scientist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Fascinating! Thanks for the picture. That's exactly what mine look like. It can't be an accident that the three cases posted here are all from EE hens.

Has anyone seen these kind of bumps on an egg from a breed other than EE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by