Curiousity or just mischievious?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Royd, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I came home from work, yesterday, and to my surprise, one of my hens was gone. Nowhere, that I could see. Since they spend time in the garden, next to the road, and being at the squatting stage, I thought someone had lifted her.

This afternoon, while wandering around the yard, I hear a noise, in my equipment trailer.
    There she was. Luckily, the temperature was mild, and she was no worse, for the wear, but where do they get all that poop?
    She had snuck in, yesterday morning, while I was loading some tools, and I didn't notice.

Anyway, they all seem to want to come into the house. Actually a mobile home. I cannot leave the screendoor ajar, for a minute. Everyone of them will be in the house, just wandering around.
    Is it something about the confines, of a closed space, or do they realize, that the head roo, spends most of his time, in there, on the computer?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Given the opportunity, chickens will always go to the very place you least want them wandering around.

Mine always see me coming out of the house with treats, maybe they think that the house contains piles & piles of interesting food......

3. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

There are people that keep saying that chickens should be outside and not in the house. May be true. But hey! Tell that to the chickens! [​IMG]

DO NOT LEAVE ANY DOOR AJAR….or your house will be full of bawk- bawks. Then…then…just try to get them all out! [email protected]#%^*($#@! [​IMG]

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Yes, chickens do like to explore. Especially the inside of your house!

I left the kitchen door open once while I went to my bed room to get my hat. Came back to find our full sized RIR boss rooster standing in the kitchen eyeing the counter top just before flying up. Several hens were peeking inside the door. I was forever chasing them off the porch. For some reason it just fascinated him and where ever he went the hens were sure to follow!

.....Alan.

5. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Can we come in?

[​IMG]

6. MelissaR

MelissaR Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    Quote:Great Picture!

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    chickens are just incredibly nosy! LOL They get into everything! We've found them in the shed, in feed bags, everywhere. My friend left her laundry room open one day, and came in to find a hen and roo inspecting her incubator. LOL [​IMG]

8. darkroo

darkroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Sandy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Do they wipe their feet?
    [​IMG]

9. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    They aren't allowed in, wiped feet or not! [​IMG]

We shoo them off the landings constantly, but that doesn't stop them from coming up to the door and "knocking on it" with their beaks. This has been going on for weeks, and we still crack up every time it happens. I swear, chickens are better than television! (And I actually like the tellie.)

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I have a dog house on my backporch for my cats when the weather is bad if they are out. 2 of my hens have started using it as a nestbox!! Can't leave the back, shed, or truck doors open or you will find a chicken in it.

My neighbors have found that out too! My chickens go visiting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by