Curled toe paralysis

EChicky

Songster
Jun 14, 2023
Hi. One of my chickens is greatly smaller than the other and walks on one of her knuckles instead of her foot. In addition, she can’t peck straight and squints her eyes.
IMG_1653.jpeg
I was wondering if this sounds like curled toe paralysis? I heard that to help with this you give them riboflavin. How much do you give and how often? Thank you!
Also next time I see her walking on her knuckles I will get a picture.

Same hen from your December thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-lethargic-please-help.1607640/post-27396015

If so, then no, not likely Curled Toe Paralysis, especially if you've been feeding her a nutritionally balanced poultry feed and had given her vitamins as suggested in the other thread.

Sadly, I think Marek's is more likely. The squinting of the eye, not being able to peck straight and the leg issues point to the disease, but it's possible something else could be going on.

Go over some things - is she pooping o.k. now?
Has she laid any eggs?
What are you feeding, including treats and did you give her vitamins and/or Calcium as suggested in the other thread?

I'd still follow the recommendation I made in January. Nutritionally balanced feed and vitamin therapy. Do check to make sure your feed is fresh and not moldy.
👇👇
I'd focus on her eating/drinking, encourage hydration. Layer feed is o.k. at her age, but it sounds like she may be failing to thrive very well. You can try giving her extra protein and vitamins to see if those make a difference. Give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E daily for a couple of weeks. For extra protein, egg, fish or meat are good to give, a small amount every few days.

Yeah it is. She still is struggling to poop but whenever I give her calcium citrate it always gets easier. She layers her first egg a few days ago. As of treats, we feed blueberries, sunflower seeds, or a scratch mix every couple of days. We had her on medication for parasites and she got off that last week since she tested positive for them via a stool sample.

Yeah it is. She still is struggling to poop but whenever I give her calcium citrate it always gets easier. She layers her first egg a few days ago. As of treats, we feed blueberries, sunflower seeds, or a scratch mix every couple of days. We had her on medication for parasites and she got off that last week since she tested positive for them via a stool sample.
We feed them organic layer crumble from demores feed store.

What were the parasites the Vet identified and what medication did you give?

They gave her febendazole for giardia. We gave her 25 mg a day

I’ve also heard about poultry cell to add to their water. Does that help?
So she tested + for Giardia?

Poultry Cell can be added to the water to give a bit of a boost, but you need to provide a station with fresh plain water too.

Did you ever give her direct oral vitamins as suggested on the other thread? The B-Complex and Vitamin E?

So she tested + for Giardia?

Poultry Cell can be added to the water to give a bit of a boost, but you need to provide a station with fresh plain water too.

Did you ever give her direct oral vitamins as suggested on the other thread? The B-Complex and Vitamin E?
Yes. She tested positive. We were going to give her it but by the time the vitamin E got here, she was acting normal again. Her symptoms have only gotten worse recently in the past few weeks

Yes. She tested positive. We were going to give her it but by the time the vitamin E got here, she was acting normal again. Her symptoms have only gotten worse recently in the past few weeks
Then I would start her on vitamins and see if she improves.

Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. A treat of egg will help with the uptake of E.
See that she's eating her normal feed.

Hopefully she will start to get better.

Back
Top Bottom