Curled Toes in a hen

KountryKriste

Hatching
Sep 25, 2019
I have a Brown Leghorn about a 1 1/2years old. Her one foot seems to be circled under. She is also not wanting to eat or drink very much. We have isolated her from the rest of the flock. She is currently getting syringe fed vitamin water. Her temp was 105F. She is holding her wings out for balance when she moves around. No signs of injury or infection on the affect foot. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

Attachments

• 6529C6F6-7DC1-41C5-B1D0-927929AC4192.jpeg
    6529C6F6-7DC1-41C5-B1D0-927929AC4192.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 2D2FCAC5-1227-4C97-BB4D-F457B30D2996.jpeg
    2D2FCAC5-1227-4C97-BB4D-F457B30D2996.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 9
I would start some riboflavin (vitamin B2) which can be found in human vitamin B complex tablets (dosage 1/4 tablet daily crushed in food,) or a chick vitamin that has riboflavin on label—nutridrench does not. Does she seem to be limping or does the leg seem numb? Have you added any new birds in the last weeks or months? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Could she have suffered a leg injury? I would look for any swelling, redness, bruising, or breaks in the skin of her leg. Make sure that she can reach food and water, or place her in a dog crate close to them if she cannot. Make sure others are not picking on her, since they will sometimes attack a sick or limping bird.

We started her on vitamins that had riboflavin in it. She doesn’t have the best balance and holds her wings out when she moves around, she also won’t grip my finger with her toes. I had a thorough check and no wounds, inflammation, present. She was supposed to be vaccinated for mareks as a chick from the hatchery. Unfortunately she passed last night.
Should I be adding vitamin powder to the other chickens waterer as a preventative Incase this hen was deficient in B2? They are currently on free choice layer ration and receive various vegetables, mealworms, alfalfa once a day.

Back
Top Bottom