Curly Drake Feather?

dixie chicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
The Heart of Dixie, Calera Al
Do male Pekin ducks get the curly feather. I have three. I know I have two females because I am getting two eggs every am. Cannot tell them apart. I know one is a female cause she quacks VERY loudly. But the other two are a mystery. I wanted to band the male when and if he got his feather so I could tell them apart all year.

my boy has a curly feather. the boys tend to be larger than the girls. and the boys, to my hear, whisper more than the girls. i have heard not all boys get the feather.

My male Pekin is quite loud. Much louder than my female runner. I was positive he was a she until I came home from a weekend stay and saw the curl. It is very definately a curl, so yes the drakes will curl. Could she be a female that is slower to develop?

Thanks for the quick replies! Could be he is a she and just has not started laying yet. I just started getting a second egg. For a while, I was sure I had two males and one female. They are all pretty much the same size. Am I correct that they just get the drake feather in the fall and then it goes away?

that's a good question. i am used to knowing who is who. i have no idea.
tongue.png

you will make me watch for the next year now to see when and if there are changes.

You should be able to tell by their voices by now.
The females will bray loudly (or lay eggs) and the males will talk in a hoarse 2 syllable "wah-wah wah-wah". THe drake feather will show itself at sexual maturity and pekins are notoriously amorous. The drake feather will be there pretty much all the time except for the molt.

Back
Top Bottom