Current Internet Theory

Something occurs to me,

It was 2020 during Covid when chicken-keeping exploded.

Those chickens would be in their 4th winter -- a very likely time to see a dramatic slowdown in laying.

A lot of people are too sentimental to cycle their flock in order to keep new, higher-production layers and are unaware of the natural drop-off in laying seen in more mature hens.

I agree!
And yes, I'm sentimental. We also have older 'pasture pet' horses, and will continue because (so far) we can afford it.
We keep our older birds, and are so very aware that those hens are producing few if any eggs! Last year, thanks to AI, we started zero chicks, so our youngest birds will be two in April. Chicks coming this spring!
And hoping (praying!) that AI won't be as big an issue here this year.
It makes total sense to eat older hens, we just don't do it.
Mary

It was 2020 during Covid when chicken-keeping exploded.

Those chickens would be in their 4th winter -- a very likely time to see a dramatic slowdown in laying.

A lot of people are too sentimental to cycle their flock in order to keep new, higher-production layers and are unaware of the natural drop-off in laying seen in more mature hens.
I got "pandemic chickens." Three of my hens are nearly 3 yo, three will be 2 in June. Yup, their glory days are behind them, so I'm getting some chicks in May.

We also had really (REALLY) unusual weather this past November/December. Add in the waning daylight (I don't use supplemental lighting), and I can understand why I have just one girl laying at the moment. Four more look ready, but I don't know if they've done anything.
It makes total sense to eat older hens, we just don't do it.
Yeah, same here. It might happen someday.

The tags are all gone from the old feed bags. It was Southern States/Nutrena Super Breeder or Flock Balancer -- whichever they had available or was cheaper (which varied by a dollar or so from month to month).

Here are the tags from the new layer and from the Sporting Bird Developer.

IMG_20230129_101851240.jpg

IMG_20230129_101900386.jpg

The prices on the feed they had were going up and up.

I'm now getting a 22% "sporting bird" feed for about the price I was paying for an 18-20% all-flock type -- but I have to put up with it being medicated with bacitracin. :(

They also have a new layer feed, that I bought when they didn't have anything else available during the switch.

I can't afford to buy 40lbs for the price of 50lbs in order to avoid the medication (much less the cost of switching to Purina). Though I am going to inquire if they have a non-medicated chick starter, and what that costs if they have it.

It has occurred to me that I have a stack of old feed bags I was saving for various purposes. I might be able to get some tags if they're not too messed up.
If it comes down to it, I may need to go with non-med chick starter for all. How long do you think can I safely do that for adults without making them obese?

Back
Top Bottom