Curtains for coop windows and/or nests

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
Do chickens prefer their coop to be dark or with lots of light? I'm considering putting curtains or blinds over the windows this winter because I won't be needing them for ventilation. Also, I've read that hens like their nesting area dark. Does anyone put curtains over their nesting area?

I will be putting curtains in the windows....mainly for summer use to block the hot sun. Hens DO like a darker spot for laying..we position the nest boxes facing away from the windows. The darkest box is usually the most popular nest.

Same here joebryant. I have two windows in the coop and am making lined drapes to put over them. I am lining them to help keep the winter cool out, they will be pulled back in the summer.

I have not considered shading the nest boxes aside from placing them under the big window to avoid direct light inside them.

Thanks, Justusnak and Cetawin, I'll buy some readymade lined ones for the windows/doors. I'll have to think about how I might darken the nests though because mine are built in and cannot be moved to a darker area. Maybe a thin curtain across the front of the nests would make them feel like they had privacy somewhat.

My hens don't seem to have any preference when it comes to added privacy for their chosen nesting box. I think as long as it is more or less isolated and they can get 'into' something. But then again, I have several that often choose to lay in the corner under the nesting boxes and this is a wide open area. I'd worry about such things if your hens aren't laying or you are worried about excessive heat in the coop; otherwise its just one more thing that will become ultra dusty and need frequent cleaning

I will be putting curtains in the windows.

Edit to remove non-working link

Last edited by a moderator:
Curtains are a very good idea! i've been carrying my hens individually into a dark hutch inside my shed when they fuss too much. Once they get in there they calm down and lay their egg. Then i carry them back out to the pen with the others. It's a bit labor intensive. Curtains sound much easier.

Back
Top Bottom