1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curtains in the coop to keep a rooster from crowing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goldeneggtees, Dec 30, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Anyone ever try light blocking curtains in the coop to keep a rooster from crowing too early? Just curious.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    my old coop did not have any windows and my rooster still crowed when there was no light

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    My roo's start at 5:30 in the AM and there is no light at that time of the morning, doesn't get light until 7am but they still crow it up. I don't have a light in there either and it's a pretty dark coop in the winter cause I have all the windows sealed off. So I think it is safe to say that curtains will not help.

4. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    They crow---it is what they do!

You can't fake them out.

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

6. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I tired covering one with a blanket (while in a cage) because I was in the city at my mom's house. That didn't work so I tried giving it treats anything to make it be quiet. End story, nothing stopped it. LOL.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I have curtains in my coop, heavy lined ones to keep out the drafts from the single paned windows....roo still crows whenever he feels like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by