Curtains in the Coop?

CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
I've decided I want curtains inside the chicken coop.
hmm.png
I'm a girly girl, I can't help it.

Can someone who knows fabric please tell me what kind of fabric would be the best to use for the curtains in this sort of environment? I want something that will keep color well (because it will most likely be washed quite frequently and I don't want it to fade out). I have a few patterns I'm totally in like with - but they're 100% cotton and I'm not sure how that would hold up for something like this.

Thank you in advance

(and try not to laugh or roll eyes)
sad.png

I've decided I want curtains inside the chicken coop.
hmm.png
I'm a girly girl, I can't help it.

Can someone who knows fabric please tell me what kind of fabric would be the best to use for the curtains in this sort of environment? I want something that will keep color well (because it will most likely be washed quite frequently and I don't want it to fade out). I have a few patterns I'm totally in like with - but they're 100% cotton and I'm not sure how that would hold up for something like this.

Thank you in advance

(and try not to laugh or roll eyes)
sad.png

Love it that you want to dress up your coop. (You can even make curtains for your nest boxes too.) Please post on here when you have hung them.

This is my broody/nursery/quarantine coop. I just added curtains in place of the door. Just picked out a design I liked. Will wash when they seem dirty. ( just put them up 2 weeks ago.) Am sure if you washed on gentle/delicate they will hold up for you.

These curtains in the big coop I got at Walmart over 2 years ago. These were in our 1st coop but I just bought bright floral cotton material to turn into curtains. Going to use a spring rod and hang them inside window.

Love it that you want to dress up your coop. (You can even make curtains for your nest boxes too.) Please post on here when you have hung them.

This is my broody/nursery/quarantine coop. I just added curtains in place of the door. Just picked out a design I liked. Will wash when they seem dirty. ( just put them up 2 weeks ago.) Am sure if you washed on gentle/delicate they will hold up for you.

These curtains in the big coop I got at Walmart over 2 years ago. These were in our 1st coop but I just bought bright floral cotton material to turn into curtains. Going to use a spring rod and hang them inside window.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, it truly is. There is a LOT of artistry in your creations. I simply adore them!! For me it's more of a personal thing. Even though chickens are "just chickens", I'm fully convinced they have feelings. It's also about my feelings; I want to be able walk into my coop through the "big person door" and see my lush curtains hung up, and my funky painted roost bars, and my sand that matches the butterscotch paint I chose, etc....and my egg tins that will go on the walls, etc. I'm even attending a ceramics class next week to learn how to make ceramic eggs for decoration or broody hen purposes...very excited about that.

Anyway - you've given me tremendously huge ideas and I just thank you so very much!!! :''')

Are hens resourceful enough to realize that the curtains can be moved for them to get inside? I hope so...wouldn't want to hang curtains in front of the boxes and have them layin' eggs all over the floor because they couldn't get in. lol I DO plan on putting velcro-attached mini ruffled skirts around the poopboards. We're getting landscape timber to line around three sides of the coop so I can have flower beds there.

Do you have any step-by-step plans for that little broody/nursery/quarantine coop of yours? I'd love to have one just like that...to have for....well...just because it's cute.

Also - what sort of bottom do you have inside your coop - it looks like sand but it's darker, so I can't tell what it is exactly. Looks like good stuff. :)

Last edited:
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, it truly is. There is a LOT of artistry in your creations. I simply adore them!! For me it's more of a personal thing. Even though chickens are "just chickens", I'm fully convinced they have feelings. It's also about my feelings; I want to be able walk into my coop through the "big person door" and see my lush curtains hung up, and my funky painted roost bars, and my sand that matches the butterscotch paint I chose, etc....and my egg tins that will go on the walls, etc. I'm even attending a ceramics class next week to learn how to make ceramic eggs for decoration or broody hen purposes...very excited about that.

Anyway - you've given me tremendously huge ideas and I just thank you so very much!!! :''')

Are hens resourceful enough to realize that the curtains can be moved for them to get inside? I hope so...wouldn't want to hang curtains in front of the boxes and have them layin' eggs all over the floor because they couldn't get in. lol I DO plan on putting velcro-attached mini ruffled skirts around the poopboards. We're getting landscape timber to line around three sides of the coop so I can have flower beds there.

Do you have any step-by-step plans for that little broody/nursery/quarantine coop of yours? I'd love to have one just like that...to have for....well...just because it's cute.

Also - what sort of bottom do you have inside your coop - it looks like sand but it's darker, so I can't tell what it is exactly. Looks like good stuff. :)
Thank you.
I can't wait to have you post pictures of your coop. I open the curtains in the morning for my girls to get out of the "brooder" and close them up at night. The brooder coop is just 2ft by 2 ft and hubby peaked the roof. It was pretty simple to build. I have pins shavings in that and their sand in their run,

In the big coop, I have done away with the poop board and just scoop the poop from the sand on the floor. The roosts are removable and covered with indoor/outdoor carpet. I just hose it off . The poop board was too much work.

My Lil Chick Inn was just a "patio" cover for the big girls for shade. It was just wasted space. When the little ones were ready to leave the house, They needed a space outside so the big girls could get used to them and vice versa.

The newest residents of the brooder.

Baby Quinn hatched 5/3/12

This is the mural I am almost done with in the big coop, Cluck On Inn. The wall was too bare for me.

Hubby added "bathroom" board to the walls this year. So much easier to clean. I was washing the paint off the walls trying to clean the poop.

Removable roost

Our run and coops. Little coop before repainting.

Coop looking towards small coop

The Cluck On Inn

Last edited:
Ohhh...my...gosh. I'm just FLOORED at all the work effort, time and talent put into it! "Inn" is a very good name for it - it's rather like a resort for chickens, too! FASCINATING stuff - thank you so much for sharing with me! :) Baby Quinn is adorable by the way! The mural...the mural is to
th.gif
for. No way I could paint anything remotely close to that - mine would look like the inside of a cave (stick figures).
roll.png
SO awesome...tytytytyty!! This gives me lots of ideas.
wee.gif

Our coop will be here in a week and a half and I'll be sure to post progress pictures too. =)

I'm wondering if some type of vinyl material might be best? If anyone likes to sew maybe use a plastic table cloth for starters. It just seems it would be easier to keep clean.

I'm wondering if some type of vinyl material might be best? If anyone likes to sew maybe use a plastic table cloth for starters. It just seems it would be easier to keep clean.

That is actually a really good idea, but I'm not sure if I can find the fabric in vinyl. Thus far I've found some plastic table cloths but they are all very "blah" in regard to patterns. I found some fabric I just adore (it's a bunch of hens in wonky positions, laying eggs and sitting in nesting boxes). I wonder if there is anything you can do *to* the fabric IE: treating it with something that will not harm the chickens, but will keep the fabric nice as well? I have no idea. lol Either way I'm excited to decorate the inside of their coop. :)

Back
Top Bottom