Custard?

From "my" 1914 "The Orange Judd Cook Book" by Adeline O. Goessling which I inherited from my father in law's household upon his leaving this earth and which belonged to his wife whom died of tuberculosis at a young age, leaving him to raise a son and two daughters in diapers.

The book cover states: Farm- Life- Series and it is an illustrated book with women pictured wearing the style of the 1914's, working at beautiful wood cook stoves with warming ovens, baking ovens, the shelf where bread and rolls would raise, the coffee pot was kept warm, the large water kettle on the hot burner, the steam kettle opposite of the coffee pot which provided humidity.

Inside the book Theresa glued newspaper cuttings of recipes and handwritten recipe cuttings she liked. Also, the author placed the title inside the book with: "A Practical Collection of Tested Recipes for Practical Housekeepers" - the recipes were collected from other women who contributed their recipes and at the bottom of the title page is: Orange Judd Company, Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Springfield, Mass., New York, 1914...this precious book is in a bit of bad repair from so many years of use, the front cover is no longer connected but I treasure this book and have not used tape nor modern day glue to try to preserve it- only use it gently and often.

In the Introduction the author states in part (Second paragraph): This book is intended especially and primarily for farm cooks, though it will be found equally useful and helpful in the city kitchen where economy is an object.

(Fourth paragraph): Some women do not seem to realize that very intimate relations exist between their own kitchens and the despised liquor saloons. Poor cooks have done more to drive men to strong drink than all the female temperance lecturers in the world can ever hope to redeem...We should eat intelligently. Food and drink are to the human machine what fuel and oil are to the mechanical.

Page 77 - Cream Custard
To 1 pt (pint) sweet cream add 1/2 lb (pound) sugar, beaten yolks of 3 eggs, beaten whites of 3 eggs and a little grated nutmeg and salt. Pour into a well buttered deep pie plate which has been sprinkled with bread or cake crumbs, about as thick as an ordinary pie crust, and also cover the top of the pudding with a dressing of crumbs. Bake until set. Custard should be baked just long enough to have set. If baked too long it will become watery. [B.B.,Pa.
(the "[B.B.,Pa." is meant to mention the person providing the recipe and where that person lived in 1914)

When I first inherited this book, I was in my early twenty's and found in my ignorance the recipes were not as specific as recipes had become by 1970-1980's and I was scared to try most of them. Once I'd gathered some life experience while raising my children and because of necessity, I began to find the recipes really did make life much more enjoyable for my family:) Cheryl

Back
Top Bottom