Custom/Pre-Fab Coop Recommendations?

KristenBT

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Hey everybody--

I am a new chicken mommy to 2 little babies, in a month it will be 8 chicks! I need to purchase a chicken coop that will house at least 8 chickens, preferably 10-12 or more. I would love for it to be sturdy and made from high quality wood that lasts (like redwood). I would also like for there to be a pull-out floor for easy cleaning and an external door for collecting eggs. I don't need anything fancy, just sturdy, practical, and easy to clean! I do have unlimited access to pallets but I don't know if I have the skills to build one myself.

Does anybody have good experiences with purchasing a large coop like this and where did you get it from? I really appreciate any guidance on this. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area but I am open to having it shipped from anywhere in the US.

So, my requirements:
8+ chicken capacity
Mobile or able to dismantle (I am renting my house, buying next year)
Sturdy wood with little maintenance, i.e. redwood
Pull-out floor for cleaning
External door for egg collecting
Elevated coop w/ legs and ramp to entrance
Less than or around $1000---is it possible?! :p
Would love to get a run, they will be free-ranging in my yard but there are a lot of potential predators around.

Throw your ideas at me even if it doesn't meet all the above requirements. I don't have all the time in the world so I am not too picky.

Thanks!

-Kristen

Last edited:
There are coops out there that are less than $1000 that meet some of your requirements. But quite frankly, any coop that costs less than $500 wont last a winter (trust me, I have one). Im sure you can build your own coop for a few hundred bucks, but if you want prefab, then a coop that meets all of your requirements will cost about $1200 - $1500. Excluding shipping. Add another $500 - $750 for that. Horizon Structures makes pretty nice prefab coops. There may also be someone on Craigslist that is selling prefab coops.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to buy a big shed and turn it into a Chicken Mansion instead :)

Back
Top Bottom