Cut tendon on leg

melindarbg

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2020
clarksville, tn
I have been treating a chicken with a leg infection. It’s been healing but when I took off the bandage yesterday it stuck a little. I soaked it and a white string was attached to the scab. It looked like the white tendon was pulled out and ripped. The bird is now limping. Can a bird survive with a cut tendon. She still gets around, I have metacam for her, stills eats, and has a pretty red comb.

Any pictures? Was the infection from an injury or an attack? I would either use some Telfa or non-stick gauze pads, or leave the dressing off. A clean towel for bedding would keep dirt and debris out of the wound. It may take some time to know if the infected leg will heal or if the leg will be lame.

Any pictures? Was the infection from an injury or an attack? I would either use some Telfa or non-stick gauze pads, or leave the dressing off. A clean towel for bedding would keep dirt and debris out of the wound. It may take some time to know if the infected leg will heal or if the leg will be lame.

I can get a picture tonight. When we bought him we did When we bought Her we didn’t notice she had a cut and swollen ankle/ foot from a leg band. Vet gave her antibiotics and anti-inflammatory but we never actually treated the cut. Vet never actually treated the cut. I’ve had chickens a year and asked about him still being swollen and if we should treat the cut and they said the anabiotic should be enough . About 6 weeks ago Cut got bigger and eventually abscessed. They said put her down but she still really healthy And eating so we started treating like bumble foot. Bandages, soaks, raw honey, etc. It’s come way down to almost healed. It has been a long process. We have had her 5 months.

When I got her today to change bandage the bandage had slipped and the cut was all dirty and black once again. Treated and she is back to eating with the flock but with the limp is still there.
All her toes bend still. I have her the metacam for pain relief.

Back
Top Bottom