1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cute chicks...male or female? *3 week update* (again)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Andora, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    These should be Welsummer chicks--17 days old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Right after I took these I realized the poor thing was seriously pasted up! It poo'ed as soon as I fixed the problem, poor chick.)

3. The smallest and lightest colored of the Welsummers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. The biggest, boldest, and loudest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last two birds side by side:

[​IMG]

I lost track of which two these were, maybe the first two pictured but not 100% sure. One has tail feathers that point up and the other has tail feathers that go down. I don't know if it's just because one bird is growing faster or what.

[​IMG]

And here are the other two chicks...they are either buff orpingtons or buff orpington crossed with something else--I think he said RIR? One chick is kind of orange yellow with a dark end on the beak and the other is all yellow with a light beak. I had two of each of the colorings, but the other two chicks died the first night they were home. [​IMG] I'm not sure of their age, my toddler was going crazy and I can't remember what the farmer said. They are definitely smaller than the Welsummer chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. This one is the smallest. It was sick the first day home but perked up after I gave it some sugar water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two yellow chicks together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly, everyone together...this is just what I carried them in for photos with, not their brooder!

[​IMG]

Does their poop in there look slightly bloody to you all? I don't think their feed is medicated, TSC only had one kind so there was nothing to choose from. I'm a little worried.

Can you tell if any are roosters? I live in a suburb, so roosters have to find a new family once they start to crow!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    keep an eye on #4.. the biggest and boldest one. My boldest chick is now a Big ole RIR Rooster! He was supposed to be a she.

3. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    They're all female...[​IMG]

4. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Quote:LOL I wish!

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    They are really cute. I think the yellow ones are buff orpingtons. I cant tell about the blood in the poo, but in that last pic the one on the bottom stands kinda like it may have cocci so i would keep an eye on it.(and the first pic on #2 bird)~no idea what sex any of them are

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think they are all chickens. [​IMG] Those yellow ones look JUST like my BO chicks, except for the red mark on their beak - my RIR chicks have that - they COULD be a cross.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Your biggest and boldest chick definitely has that rooster stance going.
    Given that they came from a farm, I would try to use medicated feed if at all possible.
    Other than the big bold one, it's really too early to tell on sex. They will start to show their secondary sex characteristics around 4 to 6 weeks old.
    Take a look at this in the meantime and soon your little roos will start to stick out:
    according to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

8. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Thanks Gritsar! I just saw your post. I'm going to look closer at them with those specs tomorrow.

They are so hard to take pictures of because they run away, or my toddler tries to grab them and hug them. [​IMG] I got my husband to hold them for pictures tonight, but you can only see their combs and not their bodies and legs. So you can't really see much, but I'll post them anyway just for the heck of it.

The first one I snapped a full body shot, before I realized it was trying to run far away from me...

[​IMG]

#2 has a slightly larger comb...
    [​IMG]

#3 Can't really tell...I'm anxiously waiting for something to develop on all of the chicks!
    [​IMG]

#4 you can't really see the comb in this picture either, but you can see how much they are feathering out!
    [​IMG]

#5 the little yellow ones are so sweet, but they are a couple weeks younger so you also can't tell much. They're starting to get a few actual wing feathers now!
    [​IMG]

#6 this is the one I think is the buff orp/RIR mix because of the dark spot on the beak.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  9. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Remember...this is just my guess!

1 and 2 are cockerels.

3-6 are pullets.

10. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I've been thinking the first two are roosters too. They are both bigger than the other two Welsummers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by