cute litte button quail FOOT ISSUE?

Big Button

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 23, 2016

Hello. Just hatched out 3 baby buttons quails. Absolutely adorable. They are all healthy except for one

Bird. She has a foot problem where she basically walks on the side of her foot. I tried

getting a good picture of her standing there but she was too fast (a good sign I suppose?) I had a hard

time catching her. I attached a pic to this thread. She can get to her food and water easily. She is growing

well. Her name is Bubbles, the other two are blossom and Buttercup. She is four days old today. They are

being fed a fresh bag (crushed up in coffee grinder) of MannaPro Starter Grower feed.

Do you think she is in pain? Will she be able to live a happy life like this? Do I need to get some Riboflavin

supplement for her?

Attachments

• BubblesFoot.jpg
    BubblesFoot.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 24
Hello -

I would try to give vitamin electrolyte mix in water. It could be a deficiency.

It might have also been broken or tendon issue/dislocation in the brooder?

Take a video if you can, but start the vitamins soon.

After perhaps 2 weeks, she may need to go to the vet to have it re-set if it doesn't improve.

Right now it is too soon to tell what it is.

Keep us posted!

You can make a little splint with medical tape to try and help straighten them out. I've not personally had to do it. But here a link on how to do it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spl...roid-blu-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Thank you!
I tried this, but she would work so hard to just get it off that she was constantly falling over from pecking at it. I worried she was hurting herself. I noticed her hatchmates were pecking at it constantly as well, which scared me enought to take it off.

Thank you!
I tried this, but she would work so hard to just get it off that she was constantly falling over from pecking at it. I worried she was hurting herself. I noticed her hatchmates were pecking at it constantly as well, which scared me enought to take it off.
I would wait a bit before trying this. A vet can also help you. These need to be adjusted every 2/3 days in young birds as they grow so fast. Wait at least a week before bringing it in (unless it stops eating, drinking or pooping) and try the vitamins.

Hello -

I would try to give vitamin electrolyte mix in water. It could be a deficiency.

It might have also been broken or tendon issue/dislocation in the brooder?

Take a video if you can, but start the vitamins soon.

After perhaps 2 weeks, she may need to go to the vet to have it re-set if it doesn't improve.

Right now it is too soon to tell what it is.

Keep us posted!
Hi there!

I have uploaded a short video to youtube. Here is the link. It was still hard to get a good look at her leg but if you play it in slow motion near the beginning of the video, you can see it.

What kind of vitamins specifially? where can I buy them? Big R?

Thank you for posting the video!

At least he is active. It does look more like a foot only issue, but still hard to tell at this point.

For chickens, I use a powder mix from Murray McMurray hatchery that I've been using for years, because its approved for organic use and easy to mix in a gallon of water. It's called Quik Chik.

They sell it seperately on thier website as well. I would check with them to make sure it is ok for quail (I'm almost positive it is, but please double check) - I believe they sell quail so they can give you more info.

I am sure there are other kinds you can get locally as well, but make sure they have B2 (Riboflavin).

A riboflavin deficiency in your chick can even have been a result of the parents being deficient.

Also forgot to mention if the coffee grinder you are using to grind your food was used previously for coffee, make sure it is pristine with no coffee grounds before using it for your feed. Coffee can kill birds. Increases heart rate and can cause heart attack.

Thank you for posting the video!

At least he is active. It does look more like a foot only issue, but still hard to tell at this point.

For chickens, I use a powder mix from Murray McMurray hatchery that I've been using for years, because its approved for organic use and easy to mix in a gallon of water. It's called Quik Chik.

They sell it seperately on thier website as well. I would check with them to make sure it is ok for quail (I'm almost positive it is, but please double check) - I believe they sell quail so they can give you more info.

I am sure there are other kinds you can get locally as well, but make sure they have B2 (Riboflavin).

A riboflavin deficiency in your chick can even have been a result of the parents being deficient.
Thank you for the tip about the coffee grinder. I made sure to clean it VERY well. Wiped it out with 70% rubbing alcohol afterwards.

Wow! Nice! I really like that powder mix. It says that it is for quails as well. I will be going to Big R today to see what vitamins they sell. If I don't find anything I like I will be rush ordering some of those vitamins from Murray Mcmurray.

I will be giving vitamin supplements to the parents from now on as well.

Also forgot to mention if the coffee grinder you are using to grind your food was used previously for coffee, make sure it is pristine with no coffee grounds before using it for your feed. Coffee can kill birds. Increases heart rate and can cause heart attack.
I bought some vitamins from Big R. Does this look like too much sodium for button quail? It says safe for all poultry. It says 1 scoop is suppose to be diluted in 1 gallon.

Attachments

• 0509211232.jpg
    0509211232.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 0509211233.jpg
    0509211233.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom