Cuts/Lesions or something on Pullets Leg, please help!

AimsChickies

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
SW Florida
I just saw these on one of my pullets legs today. Is this normal? Did she just get a cut or two and will be better? I hope its not bad
sad.png
I'm sorry, I know the pictures are big but I didnt know how to shrink them. Can anyone tell me what I can do to help this clear up?
P9140987.jpg

P9140988.jpg

P9140989.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear. Cuts on the foot are not good for chickens, but at least it's not on the underneath side. You want to keep it from getting infected.

Search for "bumble foot". You'll find better advice than I can give you. In addition to treating it, I'd try to find out if there is something sharp or jagged in their run so that you don't have to deal with more of this trouble. It looks like it could have been from chicken squables.

Looks like her leg maybe got caught on something metal and got a tear in one place and in another spot maybe got the scales caught and area bruised.
Put Neosporin on, and a Band-Aid to help medicine stay on longer. Be sure Band-Aid isn't too tight and that you change it at least every other day so new sores don't develop from accidental chafing.
Neosporin absorbs through the skin so well and works fast wonders healing such wounds.
It doesn't look too serious to me. If it were, I'd also put some antibiotics in her water.

Last edited:
First, take a deep breath and calm down! It looks a tad bit infected but it is scabbing up which is good. I would put some neosporin (how do you spell that?) on it and cover with a band aid or two. Keep a watchful eye on it and keep us updated! best of luck-

jenny

Some chickens tolerate bandaids better than others. I sometimes additionally use sports tape to secure the bandaid.
FYI: Horses will sometimes fret if you bandage an injured leg, but be content if you bandage their other (uninjured) leg (ie. bandage both front legs, or both back legs) the same way. I don't think chickens' acceptance levels are altered with similar tactics, however.

Should I try to clean it at all before putting the neosporin on it? Thank you all for the help. I'm newer to the chicken world, the information here is super valuable!

you may want to lightly dab the cut with a little warm water on a cotton ball just to remove any dirt on it. Then dab dry. Be really carefull not to catch any skin on the cotton ball. Yes if you use a band aid you might want to put some bandage tape on also to secure the band aid.

jenny

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this one. I bandaged, cleaned and neosporined the cut a few times last week and her legs are like brand new. Cant even tell she had that nasty boo-boo. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom