Cutting Feed Costs

19disbre

Chirping
Jan 26, 2015
I want to make a good big thread on cutting feed costs. So what are some good ways? Post your ways to keep costs down and how to do it. Is fodder worth doing in summer if the birds can free range? How do you go about FF on a large scale 50+ birds?

Free range, Fermented feed, Fodder......

I'd suggest that you read the FF threads. Free range will cut your feed bill in the summer. FF will cut it year round. Fodder will help some, It will certainly give your girls greens when they can't otherwise get them in the winter. Then there's the sources of free feeds if you can get them: spent grains, outdated foods from the grocery, restaurant refuse.

Current thinking is always of better use than old outdated threads, if fact I believe there is a forum rule against digging up old and or aged threads. The site always has new bird keepers, and many times they need the information, when they need it. Telling someone to 'Google It' is not really in the spirit of BYC. I offer my birds almost all of the kitchen fluids, be it from corn, beans, peas and etc. A little milk if it hits the expression date, I have a stainless steel dog dish, the type that does not tip over easily and dispense the days fluids along with whatever other kitchen scraps there. Remember chickens like meat, being omnivores they enjoy a nice steak, or what ever you can spare from one. There are a lot of small things that will add up if you just think what can the birds use from what the family does not.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Explore restricting ration and seasonally switching to grains only when forage quality good. Observation of bird foraging range, crop fill, condition and egg production can be your measures. You can also manage the plant community through seeding and targeting mowing. Having sufficient acreage helps but a challenge can be realized when trying get them out to the eats and then back again to lay eggs in provided nest and to use protected roost..

Back
Top Bottom