CX out to pasture today. Worried about dew/wet grass

randyandmegs

Songster
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
Columbus NC
My 100 Cx (first time with meat birds) are 3 weeks old yesterday and I think are ready for my Polyface style pen. My concern is the morning dew and wet grass. These birds are not completely feathered out yet but have been weaned off the heat lamp in the brooder since last week. Do you think I have anything to worry about with the heavy morning dew we get here? Im in western NC btw. I was at least going to wait today for the sun to dry up everything before putting them in there.

If you put them out on dry grass , tonight when they huddle there will be no dew on the grass under them . All birds and animals have to deal with wet grass due to rain or dew occasionally so I don't see a problem with the meaties having damp grass to walk on .

It is a real concern, and I applaud you for asking.

Put them out after the dew has dried off, move the pen after the dew is dry, they shouldn't have to deal with it much. You have about a week to worry, then you can pretty much subject them to anything but too cold or too hot temps.

If they are on dewy grass, or getting too wet, you can put down some straw to keep them up off the damp.

Back
Top Bottom