CX runt ?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SteveH, Jun 1, 2010.

1. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I had three CX that were smaller than the others as day olds . One can no longer be identified , having caught up to its hatchmates . Another stayed small , went down on its legs 2 weeks ago , but is back up and still staying fat and slowly growing . The third has the typical heavy breasted CX build but is far less than half the size of the other CX . The one on good legs weighs much more than but is otherwise the same size as my EEs of the same age . I've noticed both of these small CX are still in down over their head and neck at 5 weeks while the rest are all feathered in those areas . Are they just lacking the fast growth gene of the CX or will the healthy one never grow out to the giant size ?
    The crippled chick will be processed if it ever grows big enough ; the full sized will be used to breed . I'm wondering if the healthy runt should be culled or used to breed to see if it produces slower growing but heavy breasted chicks . { If I decide to breed it the chicks would be segregated from the other's }

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    These small chicks carry defective genes and are weak and infirm as well. Mother nature eliminates the weak and infirm on a regular basis from the breeding pool. So too, I would never use them in any breeding program if I wanted to harvest a reasonable amount of meat as one of my goals.

3. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Yeah , I originally planned on culling the three smallest . The crip was eliminated last night ; looks like they were sleeping under the shade cloth when a storm dropped over two inches of rain real quick last night [ three and 3/4 total ] . They had moved , now soaked , to under the tarp roof by the time I went out to check on them around midnight . I gave them dry bedding in the corner they were huddled in and at the time the crip was on the outer edge ; looks like it got under the others and suffocated . The others were dry and healthy this morning .
    So too, I would never use them in any breeding program if I wanted to harvest a reasonable amount of meat as one of my goals.

As far as a reasonable amount of meat , the one small bird now probably weighs half again to twice as much as the straight cornish [ hatchery type ] and has the same broad breast , thighs , and thick shanks as the other CX ; just growing slow like the EE and straight cornish . If the hatchery offered White Rocks I would think they slipped one in by mistake , though I doubt you could get one this meaty . Useing it to breed certainly would not likely increase the speed of growth of the crossbreds , and I do want to substantially increase both speed of growth and size of the crossbreds .​

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  4. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Steve... you answered your own question, now invite it to dinner.

5. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Actually , and depending on how it continues to develope , its probably exactly what some others are trying to develope : a Cornish body type taking 16 to 18 weeks to grow out . I believe I'll keep it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by