CX vs Freedom Rangers, my experience/observation so far.

I also used fermented feed because folks claimed that it decreased the runny/nastiness of the CX poop and decreased their need to be constantly drinking. While the CX did poop a lot, it seemed like normal chicken poop to me rather than the diareha-like stuff others had discussed. Since these CX spent most of their lives in my garage due to a unseasonable cold April and May, that was a big deal.

Either way, let's compare notes on our Red Rangers, because I don't think there's been a lot posted here...that I've seen anyway.

I also used fermented feed because folks claimed that it decreased the runny/nastiness of the CX poop and decreased their need to be constantly drinking. While the CX did poop a lot, it seemed like normal chicken poop to me rather than the diareha-like stuff others had discussed. Since these CX spent most of their lives in my garage due to a unseasonable cold April and May, that was a big deal.

Either way, let's compare notes on our Red Rangers, because I don't think there's been a lot posted here...that I've seen anyway.
Sounds good. I didn't ferment with my CX, but the feed I use has a botanical supplement called APEX:

http://www.bartlettmillingfeed.com/images/apex poultry.pdf

It is supposed to help with appetite, digestion, immune system, etc. It has aniseed in it, so when I open a new bag, I get a little whiff of licorice...the first time I smelled it, I thought I was going crazy....before I knew what was in APEX. I have been really pleased with it, but I am going to ferment it.

That APEX looks like good stuff. I'm going to see if it is available around here. I'd probably have to hide the bag so my husband doesn't see it. Our daughter is a semi-vegitarian, only consuming meat and egg products that I've raised, or where she's interviewed the owners of the ranch where they were raised. I have to keep the cupboards stocked with protien alteratives ans suplements to meet her diet and exercise demands. Our foreign exchange student has been diagnosed with Graves Disease and some food alergies since she's been here and I've had to stock the cupboards with gluten free and dairy free substitutes as well as a number of medicines and hollistic suplements to treat her. Our young dog, on the advice of his breeder, is on a special diet that is lower protien and higher fat than most commercial dog foods so I'm having to suplement his diet in interesting ways and our older dog has recurring impacted anal glands so I have to be sure additional digestive enzymes and fiber are added to each of her meals. I think special health food store type suplements for my chickes might send poor husband over the edge...but since he almost never goes into the garage when I've got babies out there, I could probably get away with it.
roll.png

That APEX looks like good stuff. I'm going to see if it is available around here. I'd probably have to hide the bag so my husband doesn't see it. Our daughter is a semi-vegitarian, only consuming meat and egg products that I've raised, or where she's interviewed the owners of the ranch where they were raised. I have to keep the cupboards stocked with protien alteratives ans suplements to meet her diet and exercise demands. Our foreign exchange student has been diagnosed with Graves Disease and some food alergies since she's been here and I've had to stock the cupboards with gluten free and dairy free substitutes as well as a number of medicines and hollistic suplements to treat her. Our young dog, on the advice of his breeder, is on a special diet that is lower protien and higher fat than most commercial dog foods so I'm having to suplement his diet in interesting ways and our older dog has recurring impacted anal glands so I have to be sure additional digestive enzymes and fiber are added to each of her meals. I think special health food store type suplements for my chickes might send poor husband over the edge...but since he almost never goes into the garage when I've got babies out there, I could probably get away with it.
roll.png
LOL....my husband just shakes his head and walks away....though he has been really good about things. We used to have two quarter horse mares, mother and daughter, who were just standing around costing money since they were not being ridden, so we found them a good home(the younger mare had only been away from her mama long enough to be weaned, so they had to go together). So we had a barn with (3) 12' x 12' stalls that weren't being used. We took a corner of two of the stalls, made a floor, enclosed each one, put a heat lamp over each one with an adjustable chain, and now have two brooders. We use the rest of the stall to let the chicks out of the brooder when they are old enough, or use as a breeding pen. The third stall is going to be repurposed as well, because I am considering getting a small number of White Bresse to raise and eventually breed. Right now, one of the stalls with the brooder has been further subdivided temporarily because I have FBCM chicks in the brooder, three blue copper marans pullets in the second section, and a brooding FBCM in the third section. There is a whole lotta stuff going on in that stall...
hmm.png

As far as the APEX, I don't know if it is available in pure form...there may be other companies that use it in their feed. I like the fact that there aren't antibiotics in the feed, especially with the meat chickens, yet there is immune support for the birds from the supplement.

My chicks are coming Tuesday, so I have to get some fermentation going for then to be able to get them started when they arrive. So...gotta get buckets today since I am going to switch everybody over to FF as soon as I can!!

I wonder if a bucket with a hole at the bottom might work better with these big round fellows rather than a cone shape. I'd still secure the feet with a noose-like knot. Anyone have a unique solution?

t\I did use a fee bag 1 year just cut a correct size hole in 1 of the sealed end and fed the birds thru the open end. You can control how tightly the bird is held also. I tried this cuz cost for cones at the time were more than I was allowed to spend (Wife a chicken eater nothing else to do with them) And was during processing I needed a quick solution. Was a fast fix to the birds bruising themselves when I was butchering them. Just something I did 1 year that seemed to help with bruising. Can't rememeber if I hung the bags or not to let bleed out. Normally I just use a rope/cable with slip knot around 1 ankle and hang from something that the dogs can't reach. Like an old swing set frame.

Just an idea you can try if you have bags laying around. I wouldn't suggest this unless you have canvas/plastic bags though. Paper wouldn't last long I don't think.

My chicks are here a day early!!! They were from Murray McMurray, and all arrived in good condition(post office called at 6:45 this morning to tell me that they had arrived). They went to eating their FF feed right away. I ordered some GroGel, and per their recommendation, put it on top of the feed. I got 21 Red Rangers and 20 dual purpose white male chicks....Rocks, Orpingtons, and Giants....plus one free rare bird chick( I think it is a Modern Black Breasted Red Game chick). The white males are slated to be capons.

I started my FF a little differently than others, I think. I added ACV, but I also had the dredgings and liquid from the hard apple cider we made a few months ago in the fridge....so I added some to it as well, because it would contain yeast, along with other nutrients. It smelled nice and fermented already....worst case scenario is that it would have become vinegar as well.

Maybe we need to start a Red Ranger Grow-A-Thon thread.....

You mentioned that your CX didn't have diarrhea. Mine didn't really either. The first stool of the day was usually white capped and firm, and subsequent stools might be a little softer, but not runny.....I still have 6 to butcher.....

My new Red Rangers arrived from McMurray this morning too. I was surprised that they'd ship chicks on Saturday, but spent time on Sunday getting a brooder ready "in case". It was a good thing I did because I ended up having to ask my mom to run down and pick them up because I was already on my way to work when I got the call. So, 18 Red Rangers plus the mystery chick. I have no clue what it is but so far it is the only one that didn't arrive in good shape. It is smaller than the RRs and pretty wobbly on its legs. I don't know if the size is due to the breed or it is just a runty baby. I've added the "Quick Chick" vitamins and electrolytes to their water and made sure everyone got a good drink. Most of the Red Rangers immediately went for multiple drinks, two even walking around in the waterer on top of the marbles I had put in there. I kept removing them from the water and they climbed right back in. However, the mystery chick had to have its beak dipped a few times and then I put it back under the heat lamp. I hope it will be OK.

It will be fun to compare notes since our chicks were hatched a shipped on the same day from the same hatchery.

I am curiously reading this thread because I have 5 Cornish X hens from McHurray right now that I am raising with my new batch of laying hens and I ordered 15 Red Rangers for August when I get back from vacation. I didn't get the Red Rangers this time because my friend wanted 10 RIRs and we combined our order, so we wouldn't be able to distinguish them. My Cornish are lazy but they do move a bit, especially if it isn't too hot out. I had to poke them to move to drink water yesterday, because it was in the 90's. I'm glad I had read that somewhere here that they are too lazy to go drink water sometimes. I really don't want to lose any at this point after cleaning up so much poop for weeks and weeks.

Sandy

Oh dear, the good news is that the little mystery chick is up and walking around. He/she has made a trip to the waterer and now seems to be in search of food. The bad news is that, after noting the silly riding helmet of feathers on its head, I started looking at McMurray's photos of "rare and fancy" breed chicks and I suspect I may have a Golden Laced Polish. This is not good news because they are listed as not cold hearty by MPC (I live in the Colorado mountains) and "fair" layers of "tiny" eggs. However, they are so cute and silly looking that I know I'm doomed to keep this one regardless on how useless it may turn out being to me. Arrrgh...in the words of Nancy Reagan "JUST SAY NO!"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom