CXs under wieght at almost 8 weeks

JawaChicken

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
Springfield OR
I have 10 CXs (left) that I got from the local small farm I work at. Randomly picked out of their day old chicks. We processed their (of said batch) chickens at 6.5 weeks old and we got 3.5-4lb birds.

Now, I am testing a new local organic feed for the farm on my batch, keeping track of growth rate and health. They were doubling their weight every week up until week 5. Now here I am 2 days away from my processing day and my birds are between 1 and 3.5 lbs. but they are all very active and healthy.

This is my second season raising CXs for my family. The only difference is the feed this year, but has the same protein (16%) as I fed to my first batch. And I got 4.5 -5.5lb birds out of those at 8 weeks. I know now to increase protein
My birds have lots of room to roam and forage. This batch is small, but very active.

Next batch I am going to try my hand with fermented feed. I know the % of protein is low for meat birds.

for now, I am simply going to let the small ones grow out more. But I am wondering if anyone else here has encountered a variation like this?

I have 5 Cornish X that are in the tractor with my Red Rangers this year, and they are all similar weights at 8 weeks even though convention says the Cornish should be much, much larger. They are extremely active as well and just as healthy (if not healthier than my rangers), so I'm content with letting them grow a little longer if need be. All of my birds are around 3-3.5 lbs. I expected to be processing the Cornish this week, but it doesn't look like I will. I'm feeding 20% protein, so you'd think they'd be much bigger. I really think the competition from the crazy competitive rangers are helping keep mine from growing too quickly, but maybe it's just a weird variation this year? I'm not too worried since they're otherwise healthy and I'm not looking to make a profit this year.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I have chosen to let all grow out for another week or 2. They are active and healthy might as well let them enjoy themselves a little longer. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom