Cyanobacteria Poisoning the silent killer ( Blue-Green Algae )

416bigbore

Ruffus and Big Boy
Jun 11, 2020
NC
Once again I find myself trying to self-educate myself in the attempt of keeping our little flock healthy and happy. :) Unlike those who have been dealing with drought and the negative effects from it this year, we have been dealing with just the opposite. I am not one to cuss all the moister because I like to see things green over dried up and dead from no rain.

I have been trying to deal with all the extra water the best I can, but when the soil, I mean crappy clay ground don't let it soak in or run off. I am left with one big slimy muddy mess and running out of dryer safe ground for our little mud magnets to free range. The Ducks love all the mud and have no problems being buried up to their eyeball in it all day long if I would let them.:he

Now for the bigger problem I have been trying to resolve, possible Blue-Green Algae starting to grow outside our coop where our babies free range. I am no expert on the green slime so I posted a few pics and maybe someone can give me a definite answer either way on the nasty stuff. I am aware of other Algae's, some safe and nutritious and others that can kill you because there is no antidote for the toxin. My guess very similar to mushrooms if you don't know what you are eating. :confused:

I posted a few links below that I thought might be of some value for others who might be interested. Once I found out about the possible deadly algae, I made another entrance on the other side of the coop just to be safe and keep our little mud magnets away from the nasty stuff. My other question I been trying to find the answer to with no luck as of yet. Once things do dry up on that side of the yard, will it be safe for the Ducks to return or is the ground toxic still and I need to keep them away from it? :confused:

https://opensanctuary.org/article/t...-green algae is often,algae bloom to be fatal.

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/livestock/cyanobacteria-poisoning-blue-green-algae

https://www.kdheks.gov/algae-illness/download/Harmful_Algae_Blooms_Q_and_A.pdf

https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpolluti...s, blue-green algae,Algal blooms can be toxic.

Attachments

• BGA 01.jpg
    BGA 01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • BGA 02.jpg
    BGA 02.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 22
  • BGA 03.jpg
    BGA 03.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 25
This is interesting. Have you seen your ducks nibble any of it? I am 2 miles from Lake Erie, so I understand the problem with blue-green algae, but don't have to worry about it near my coops. I am interested in hearing what others have to say.

This is interesting. Have you seen your ducks nibble any of it? I am 2 miles from Lake Erie, so I understand the problem with blue-green algae, but don't have to worry about it near my coops. I am interested in hearing what others have to say.
No I have been keeping them away from it, this all developed in a very short period of time. From what I have been reading about the nasty stuff, the conditions have been perfect for the Algae to grow like wildfire. With all the extra moister mushroom of every shape and color are another thing that's been popping up all over the yard. So I pick them to make sure nothing stupid happens with them either.

Once again I find myself trying to self-educate myself in the attempt of keeping our little flock healthy and happy. :) Unlike those who have been dealing with drought and the negative effects from it this year, we have been dealing with just the opposite. I am not one to cuss all the moister because I like to see things green over dried up and dead from no rain.

I have been trying to deal with all the extra water the best I can, but when the soil, I mean crappy clay ground don't let it soak in or run off. I am left with one big slimy muddy mess and running out of dryer safe ground for our little mud magnets to free range. The Ducks love all the mud and have no problems being buried up to their eyeball in it all day long if I would let them.:he

Now for the bigger problem I have been trying to resolve, possible Blue-Green Algae starting to grow outside our coop where our babies free range. I am no expert on the green slime so I posted a few pics and maybe someone can give me a definite answer either way on the nasty stuff. I am aware of other Algae's, some safe and nutritious and others that can kill you because there is no antidote for the toxin. My guess very similar to mushrooms if you don't know what you are eating. :confused:

I posted a few links below that I thought might be of some value for others who might be interested. Once I found out about the possible deadly algae, I made another entrance on the other side of the coop just to be safe and keep our little mud magnets away from the nasty stuff. My other question I been trying to find the answer to with no luck as of yet. Once things do dry up on that side of the yard, will it be safe for the Ducks to return or is the ground toxic still and I need to keep them away from it? :confused:

https://opensanctuary.org/article/things-that-are-toxic-to-ducks/#:~:text=Blue-green algae is often,algae bloom to be fatal.

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/livestock/cyanobacteria-poisoning-blue-green-algae

https://www.kdheks.gov/algae-illness/download/Harmful_Algae_Blooms_Q_and_A.pdf

https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/harmful-algal-blooms#:~:text=Red tides, blue-green algae,Algal blooms can be toxic.

You’re not alone. We live in Louisiana and have had sometimes a week straight of thunderstorms, while I say straight, it’ll clear up for a few hours but then the sun creates the algae, just as you pictured. I have read that cinnamon is a great way to get rid of algae and have yet to see anything where it’s harmful to the ducks. I wish it was in one spot in our yard but we have an entire large section, large spot in the center of the yard, and along the fence and house. Our temps are around 94-98 but with the humidity the temp feel is sometimes as high as 110 sand it feels that hot 🥵 (I’ve described our summers as what hell would feel like), by the end of the day, my hair is soaking wet from sweating. I didn’t begin looking up the algae until we lost one of our precious babies, Goldie was almost a year so no baby but she was my baby girl, and we lost her last weekend unexpectedly; it’s when I found out from other very helpful people on BYC that ducks are good at covering when they’re ill. I did read how blue-green algae can be toxic to ducks but the other 10 are doing just fine; however, Goldie was recovering from bumblefoot and I believe it may have weakened her immune system. I’m also not sure if what we have is blue-green algae or just plain green algae; or if both are bad for ducks. I’ve attached photos of our algae problem, which mimics yours. We no longer have grass in our backyard. My husband had to add a load of sand to the front and back yard, he added grass seed as well but none had time to grow since our ducks were placed in their house in during late fall…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Did you ever find a way to get rid of the problem?
Hello, No way to get rid of the problem that I have found, so I just moved them to keep them away from it. It's back again this year already with all the moister we have been receiving.

It's my understanding it's not the harmful type of algae, but no guarantee without sending it in to have an expensive testing done on it. So I just keep them out of it until the area dries up.

Hello, No way to get rid of the problem that I have found, so I just moved them to keep them away from it. It's back again this year already with all the moister we have been receiving.

It's my understanding it's not the harmful type of algae, but no guarantee without sending it in to have an expensive testing done on it. So I just keep them out of it until the area dries up.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom