Cyn! Check out the Nelda Squad! (SS chicks)

Yep, SS stands for Speckled Sussex. My DH actually calls my 2 older ones "The Double Esses".

Jordan, I PM'd you...just now.
smile.png

Its amazing to watch them change from little fluff balls to a completely feathered bird that may be almost a completely different color/pattern. Chickens are never dull!

Portia,

Yours are starting to get their speckles! That line of white speckles on the wing is one of the things they are judged on at shows. (Read that recently)

Yours is definitely feathering out like that. How many do you have? Any indication at 2 weeks on boys vs girls?

HH,
So far all the SS look pretty much identical, so I'm hoping all pullets. I have a black australorp that I think might be a roo, but that's the only one I've identified. They are now getting feathers on their chests, also speckled. They are so pretty.
IMGP3013.jpg

Now, here's the confusing part...this next picture is of a Welsummer
IMGP3010.jpg

As they feather out more I can see the difference, but it's not much...the hatchery marked the (6) SS; the (4) Welsummers don't have the orange forehead dot.

Oh, you ordered yours from a hatchery as pullets! Lucky you! I am sweating it here, hoping this isn't a roo-heavy hatch.

I have had Welsummer chicks too. Sounds like we have the same taste in chickens! The white-tipped feathers with that little black bar will ID the SS. Another week and a few more real feathers and you will have no trouble telling them apart. You'll have speckles galore!

Thanks for the pics--keep 'em coming! Those pics of the combs on the SS pullets will help me out a lot!

Back
Top Bottom