Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

None of my birds' wings are clipped & my fences are only 4 ft high. Almost every bird I have could easily hop my fences but rarely do. I have chickens, turkeys, calls, anconas & pilgrim geese. Rarely a fence jumper.

Thanks so much. It makes me feel a little better every time I see somebody say that. I always try to consider for all possible outcomes for things so I'm not caught having no idea what to do if something goes wrong, but I think I'm making myself unusually crazy over this one, probably because it's taking so long for the order and it's giving me too much time to think. I don't think I was this worried about something bad happening after I had my first child. Of course he never flew away, but there were times after he reached his teens that I wished he had.

I don't know for sure but I'd assume that clipping their wings would ding you at a duck show. As for aesthetics, I kind of like Irwinke's method, since she sort of shapes it to look pretty, On a sidenote, I'd kill to have Wobbles be that calm when I hold her like that!
Yep, clipped wings are a disqualification. That's why I'm not sure what I'm going to do if those ducks flying becomes a problem since I hate the idea of keeping ducks penned all the time. I'm really hoping I'll be one of those lucky people I keep reading about whose Calls don't fly off their property even though they could if they wanted to.
My blue magpie drake is very flighty and flies all around the yard, but never away. Clipped his one wing but obviously not far enough down the feather.

My ducks all have their feathers intact. I only clip when bringing new ones in. Once they are bonded to the rest of the flock they don't go anywhere. Mine will fly around the yard, but it's probably good for their wings to do so. But they know food, water and shelter are here and they are safe. So they have no reason to fly away.
Here is a pair of whites I bought at the Portage show this month. I usually don't like to keep whites, but I get a lot of requests for white ducklings in the spring. They are super cute but terrified of people. They are free ranging with my other ducks. After a couple of scuffles, they integrated just fine :)

Here are two drakes that I hatched at the end of July. The blue fawn is looking really nice. Can't wait till he colors out!

My ducks all have their feathers intact. I only clip when bringing new ones in. Once they are bonded to the rest of the flock they don't go anywhere. Mine will fly around the yard, but it's probably good for their wings to do so. But they know food, water and shelter are here and they are safe. So they have no reason to fly away.
Here is a pair of whites I bought at the Portage show this month. I usually don't like to keep whites, but I get a lot of requests for white ducklings in the spring. They are super cute but terrified of people. They are free ranging with my other ducks. After a couple of scuffles, they integrated just fine :)

Here are two drakes that I hatched at the end of July. The blue fawn is looking really nice. Can't wait till he colors out!

aw, so cute! i'd love some whites someday. Mine are all full flight too but i pen and it's covered lol My big ducks are a problem with the calls... i won't range them together.

I've been trying to hatch a blue fawn drake for 3 years. All of my ducklings turn out to be hens. Finally, this year I got a few drakes. I'm selling a pair today. So I'll be left with 4 blue fawn hens, 3 gray hens, 1 pastel hen, 1 white hen, 1white drake, 1 pastel drake, 2 gray drakes, 1 blue fawn drake and my oddball black bibbed drake. I should really sell 2 more drakes. But I think I'll wait till spring. You never know what could happen between now and laying season.

Back
Top Bottom