Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Pics
i couldn't find call ducks in my area, so i bought eggs on ebay... i have them encased as if they were prisoners, but this is babies first day out.....i hope you can see them thru all the caging....lol

i couldn't find call ducks in my area, so i bought eggs on ebay... i have them encased as if they were prisoners, but this is babies first day out.....i hope you can see them thru all the caging....lol

They are adorable! mine are similar, i have several dogs and we go sit in the fenced area where they go too, so they are penned like you wouldn't believe, only armored guards are missing lol

Hi, I only have 1 call duck that has made to the pipping stage. IF this one and only survives, I know I need to get him a friend. My question is what age range can the new duckling be and does if have to be a call as I probably have to go with CL. Will it be ok with a Peking? If the other duck is a week? I have another incubator with 15 call duck eggs that is 2 weeks behind. Any advice would be helpful.

I would not get a pekin to large your talking a bantam and a heavyweight breed, to dangerous... a week is awhile for it to be alone but either way i would stick with smaller breeds of ducks, you could use a stuffed toy in the midterm.

Last edited:
i have a call drake and a blue swede that run together and share the same house....his mate was killed and she kept getting injured, dog...owl twice....so shes kinda gimpy but they get along fine....however....they were both fully grown when they got together

I would not get a pekin to large your talking a bantam and a heavyweight breed, to dangerous... a week is awhile for it to be alone but either way i would stick with smaller breeds of ducks, you could use a stuffed toy in the midterm.

I found on CL some Call/BEI mixes that were hatched 5/21. I will get them on Mon. so hopefully my duckling will survive alone until then.

My eggs are on day 11 and look like lil' wiggly cashews ^^ How do you guys handle the waiting? I'm just so nervous and impatient, I can't take it!

(wiggly cashew incoming)

Last edited:
One of two call duck pens we built this Spring. The 4x4's are free oak cribbing that came from shipping supplies from a factory. And the lids on either end are off of pallets. The ducks LOVE them, and now I feel bad for my trio that's still in the old pen.

I love this pen!
thumbsup.gif

It's similar to the ones that I have for my Calls, but mine are 5 years old now and got beat up when we moved them all to our new house last year, so I need to start looking at building permanent replacements. I also love that you used reclaimed shipping/pallet materials! You've got the wheels in my head turning!
smile.png

My eggs are on day 11 and look like lil' wiggly cashews ^^ How do you guys handle the waiting? I'm just so nervous and impatient, I can't take it!

(wiggly cashew incoming)
by hovering around the incubator all day and half the night and chewing my nails and pulling my hair.... when they start wiggling and peeping....you'll be half bald like the rest of us! lol

by hovering around the incubator all day and half the night and chewing my nails and pulling my hair.... when they start wiggling and peeping....you'll be half bald like the rest of us! lol

You have no idea - I even find myself subconsciously waking up throughout the night just to turn them! My fiancee has dubbed them "wiggle-shews".

Back
Top Bottom