Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

I'll never understand why birds love cayenne so much! Parrots and songbirds are notorious for lovin' them some capsaicin! Makes no sense to me, I can't stand heat in my food!

I'll never understand why birds love cayenne so much! Parrots and songbirds are notorious for lovin' them some capsaicin! Makes no sense to me, I can't stand heat in my food!

Birds don't taste things the same way we do. They like spicy stuff when they are cold because it raises body temp. It helps warm them without so much energy being used. Think about how hot you feel after eating something spicy. It does the same to birds.

Birds don't taste things the same way we do. They like spicy stuff when they are cold because it raises body temp. It helps warm them without so much energy being used. Think about how hot you feel after eating something spicy. It does the same to birds.

I always assumed it had something to do with parrot's tongues being callous and not as wet or complex as ducks and geese. Which is why I found it so odd that those sensitive lil' pink duck tongues could handle the heat!

I always assumed it had something to do with parrot's tongues being callous and not as wet or complex as ducks and geese. Which is why I found it so odd that those sensitive lil' pink duck tongues could handle the heat!

They just don't taste hot like we do. They eat it for the warmth for their body.

Quote:
If you're still having issues, or even if you want to go ahead and try this at the same time as Silkie's suggestions, you could add some nesting pads. It seems to kind of depend on the bird how much those matter, but three of mine love nesting pads and fuss endlessly over them, which they won't do with straw alone. Mine will lay their eggs in the pond or anywhere else they happen to be if they don't have defined nesting places.

If you're still having issues, or even if you want to go ahead and try this at the same time as Silkie's suggestions, you could add some nesting pads. It seems to kind of depend on the bird how much those matter, but three of mine love nesting pads and fuss endlessly over them, which they won't do with straw alone. Mine will lay their eggs in the pond or anywhere else they happen to be if they don't have defined nesting places.
I checked the pond and there was no eggs in it...

Back
Top Bottom