Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

The mom helps them if you let them hatch their own eggs.
I may let her after I find out if she's a good layer or not. I was told she was. How many eggs to your calls lay in a season typically? The thing with letting her hatch is that we would be keeping only a few and selling the rest. I don't think it would be fair to them if they were terrified of people. Gidget and Gadget tolerate me and I feel bad for them. Especially Gadget. They were uprooted from the only place and faces they knew. If we had imprinted babies they wouldn't be scared of people.

I may let her after I find out if she's a good layer or not. I was told she was. How many eggs to your calls lay in a season typically? The thing with letting her hatch is that we would be keeping only a few and selling the rest. I don't think it would be fair to them if they were terrified of people. Gidget and Gadget tolerate me and I feel bad for them. Especially Gadget. They were uprooted from the only place and faces they knew. If we had imprinted babies they wouldn't be scared of people.

They don't lay a particular number in a season. It really depends on the duck. Calls aren't prolific layers like Campbells, Pekins, etc. In my experience, the more typey they are, the less likely you'll get eggs from them that can produce ducklings. I'll throw out a 60 for an average for most over the long laying season.

They don't lay a particular number in a season. It really depends on the duck. Calls aren't prolific layers like Campbells, Pekins, etc. In my experience, the more typey they are, the less likely you'll get eggs from them that can produce ducklings. I'll throw out a 60 for an average for most over the long laying season.
Huh, I didn't know that. I knew they laid less eggs just not about the more typical the less likely to produce ducklings...

Last edited:
Thanks, dear!  That seems like a decent percentage.  You use an incubator, right?  Bless your heart for helping those babies that need it!
I agree! I read somewhere on a call duck breeders thread, that he never assisted in hatching or rarely. I guess this guy is well known for his quality of call ducks. I can't remember his name though. He said he didn't assist because the ones that hatch and survive are strong and are healthy. He didn't want to introduce weak or sickly duckling to his flock. That's really sad to me and seems wrong to me.

Thanks, dear! That seems like a decent percentage. You use an incubator, right? Bless your heart for helping those babies that need it!

We only incubate, which makes the hatch rate a little or maybe a lot lower. That's because we want to hand-raise the ducklings. Some don't need much help, just a little chipping around. It's nuts if you watch a normal hatch. The mom basically starts ripping pieces of the shell off when she wants them out. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom