Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Where is Art located? I'm not particularly interested in shipping a call simply because of the cost and stress to the bird....... although... my birthday is coming up... and I'm pregnant
wink.png

I'm not particularly worried about winning a show - yet :) I'm more into the experience and meeting other duck enthusiasts! I grew up breeding and showing rabbits and I miss the whole showing experience.
Can a non-standardized color still win, place, or not be DQ'ed in a show? I'm not too concerned about pollution in the bloodline as long as some of the offspring are show quality - I suspect I shouldn't have too much of a problem finding pet homes for unshowable calls, because they're freaking adorable!
Any colors to completely avoid mixing with white? At this point I'm now leaning toward blue bibbed, snowy, butterscotch, and spot.
He's in southern NY. I don't think there are any problems with shipping. He ships birds all over the world.

A non-standardized color can win BV. In sanctioned shows, things work differently from regional fairs and things like that. Non-standardized colors aren't a disqualification, they just can't qualify for the top prizes in sanctioned shows. Don't forget that SQ includes plumage, so mixing varieties can give you ducks that aren't SQ regardless how typey they are otherwise.

I don't know of any colors to avoid mixing with them if you're not going with a pure variety. All ducks are good ducks. One thing I can tell you is that snowy is very, very hard to breed for proper color and pattern if you're intending to show them.

He's in southern NY. I don't think there are any problems with shipping. He ships birds all over the world.

A non-standardized color can win BV. In sanctioned shows, things work differently from regional fairs and things like that. Non-standardized colors aren't a disqualification, they just can't qualify for the top prizes in sanctioned shows. Don't forget that SQ includes plumage, so mixing varieties can give you ducks that aren't SQ regardless how typey they are otherwise.

I don't know of any colors to avoid mixing with them if you're not going with a pure variety. All ducks are good ducks. One thing I can tell you is that snowy is very, very hard to breed for proper color and pattern if you're intending to show them.
Then I will definitely avoid snowy! I'll probably go for spotted, butterscotch, or blue. Does Art have a website? I'd love to see what he has available.

Last edited:
Then I will definitely avoid snowy! I'll probably go for spotted, butterscotch, or blue. Does Art have a website? I'd love to see what he has available.

No, he doesn't have a website. I only communicate with him by phone or occasionally in email. He's not the only good breeder around, though, just one of the best. You could also check with Holderreads. No idea how that's going to work out this time of year since many of their ducks are reserved by spring/early summer and they're already into shipping season, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

No, he doesn't have a website. I only communicate with him by phone or occasionally in email. He's not the only good breeder around, though, just one of the best. You could also check with Holderreads. No idea how that's going to work out this time of year since many of their ducks are reserved by spring/early summer and they're already into shipping season, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Could you PM me his email?
There is a show somewhat near me a couple weeks from now - I will probably go to that and hopefully find a beautiful little lady there!

Could you PM me his email?
There is a show somewhat near me a couple weeks from now - I will probably go to that and hopefully find a beautiful little lady there!

No, I'm sorry, I can't give out his email address without his permission. Please don't take offense. It's the same as if you gave me you email address and asked me not to give it out.

Do you mind saying what show you're going to? You might or might not have luck getting what you want at a show. I've never found a duck at a show that I wanted to buy that anyone wanted to sell. I've seen many for sale, but none that I'd have wanted for breeding.

No, I'm sorry, I can't give out his email address without his permission. Please don't take offense. It's the same as if you gave me you email address and asked me not to give it out.

Do you mind saying what show you're going to? You might or might not have luck getting what you want at a show. I've never found a duck at a show that I wanted to buy that anyone wanted to sell. I've seen many for sale, but none that I'd have wanted for breeding.
It's fine I totally understand!

I'm going to the Central Indiana Poultry Show. I imagine, with the Midwest ban on traveling with poultry that was only very recently lifted, and with it being decently close to Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan, more people than average will be there (we had no fairs all summer and several very big shows were cancelled). I figure, if there are none there for sale that I like, I can at least connect with several breeders.

It's fine I totally understand!

I'm going to the Central Indiana Poultry Show. I imagine, with the Midwest ban on traveling with poultry that was only very recently lifted, and with it being decently close to Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan, more people than average will be there (we had no fairs all summer and several very big shows were cancelled). I figure, if there are none there for sale that I like, I can at least connect with several breeders.

Yep, that's a good way to connect. That's how I met Art.

Back
Top Bottom