Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Oooohhhhhhhhh......shiny eye balls......must taste....

Don't take it personal, it's a bird thing
smile.png
Shiny anything really :)

My call that left her eggs and vanish showed back up! She had been attacked by the back yard neighbors dogs when she hopped the fence, they pulled all her tail feathers and it made the dogs owners panic resulting in a trip to the vet who wouldn't treat her because a) they aren't an avian vet and b) they weren't the owners so they took the duck to the RSPCA who have had her since, even though I called daily and sent in photos. Apparently she looked different without her butt feathers on. Stupid thing is the neighbors gave them our address when they handed her in as the probably home location. Anyhow alls well that ends well.

Oooohhhhhhhhh......shiny eye balls......must taste....

Don't take it personal, it's a bird thing
smile.png

Truer words were never spoken!!
thumbsup.gif

Shiny anything really
smile.png

My call that left her eggs and vanish showed back up! She had been attacked by the back yard neighbors dogs when she hopped the fence, they pulled all her tail feathers and it made the dogs owners panic resulting in a trip to the vet who wouldn't treat her because a) they aren't an avian vet and b) they weren't the owners so they took the duck to the RSPCA who have had her since, even though I called daily and sent in photos. Apparently she looked different without her butt feathers on. Stupid thing is the neighbors gave them our address when they handed her in as the probably home location. Anyhow alls well that ends well.

Oh, wow!!!!
celebrate.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Fizz, that's great news! I must say, I'm impressed at how your neighbors took action. I've known a LOT of dog owners who wouldn't even take responsibility for their animals' behavior, let alone pony up the dough for a vet visit! I'm kinda miffed at the SPCA, as well. Honestly, how many call ducks would they have gotten in, anyway? I'm so happy she's okay!

Oh Fizz, that's great news! I must say, I'm impressed at how your neighbors took action. I've known a LOT of dog owners who wouldn't even take responsibility for their animals' behavior, let alone pony up the dough for a vet visit! I'm kinda miffed at the SPCA, as well. Honestly, how many call ducks would they have gotten in, anyway? I'm so happy she's okay! 
X2. I am glad the little precious thing is safe.

You know what's awful I have too many Pastel male calls so I put and ad on Craig's list these little guys are adorable and have the little short bills and round little bodies they are beautiful! I had a man call me to see how many I had for sale . Then he wanted to know how much they weighed and when I told him 2 pounds he said why was I charging so much money for sush a little duck there wasn't enough meat on them! Then he told me he saw those kinds of ducks on the pond all of the time and didn't understand why I was charging 25.00 dollars for one . When I explained they were pets and not to eat he said I was stupid and hung up.? I think if I could have reached through the phone I would have strangled him!

Been there. I cut those conversations off very early on unless I'm in the mood for some amusement. That's why I grill my potential buyers and either give them my address or tell them it's best if they look elsewhere.
wink.png

Hi everyone major advice needed. I have 2 free-range (penned at night) breeding quads. One quad a few months older but had no trouble introducing the younger one couple years ago as there's only 3 months between them. All was peaceful on the dam until 2 ducklings, boy and girl were hatched here in May from a random assortment of eggs (no clue which are mum & dad) & matured. They are hunted by the dominant male call 'Hotrod'. Her more than him although now he (Dodge) has started being involved and dragging Hotrod off her. She is bald at the back of her head where Hotrod grabs her. Its relentless. These two 5 month olds don't go down to the dam at all because of this male. Should I be getting rid of this alpha leader of the family to give these youngsters a chance or getting new homes for the youngsters entirely for their safety? Might this cool down? Sometimes they do all just hang out, but attacks are getting frequent and are uncool. Help!

You have to be careful this kind of aggression can lead to ducks drowning while the males fight over breeding rights. I usually pull the most aggressive male and put him in the time out pen for a couple of days in fact when it gets really bad I'll pull all but my best male and put them in time out together.

Thanks so much. Is it reasonable to expect his behaviour to calm down after breeding season? It doesn't happen with the other male at the moment but I'll be putting them in timeout together so no one's lonely. We're keen to keep the family together for sentimental reasons as I rescued both groups as 'lings while on a welfare call to a mini pony. There were a few destroyed pens in the house yard and a couple pens intact with these call bubs in, so pretty and quiet and small. I already knew the owner was a prick because of the pony I was out there to take but it was awful when he said 'just can't keep the dogs out of them, love their duck dinners'. The older group had their mother grabbed out of theirs in front of them that morning and she was all over the yard. I took all 8 from 2 different pens right then and am learning by guidance and bumbling. Want very badly to keep this little crew together because they never leave each other's sides & have such confidence in their tight-knit group. Thanks for your advice.

I would separate him at the very least if you want to keep them together, and I would not let them back in contact unless you're there to supervise. We have a duck right now that has a neck injury that's never going to completely heal, though it's better than it was. That was a mating injury.

Extremely aggressive drakes are not to be toyed with hoping things will get better. I have a story I could tell but won't right now. I would keep him separated for the safety and peace of mind of your others.

Back
Top Bottom