Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Pics
Skittlez:

So sorry to hear you lost your broody duck - we lost one a few days ago as well - she was a gray call and very sweet. The predator only ate one of her eggs so we put the other 5 in the incubator and -

they started hatching Sunday morning with the last one out today. You have some good looking replacements and I hope some of your eggs hatch.

They are so cute, I only wish their Mama was here to take care of them. Also noticed she must have kept company with a BEI when I wasn't looking!

30647_belindas_babies_justhatched.jpg

RIP Belinda - you left some beautiful babies.

ducklover1
Today 7:32 pmeasttxchick wrote:
Skittlez wrote:
Here is the group my daughter just bought. 2 drakes and 3 hens. They are so nice. My daughter lost her flock a week ago. We managed to save 8 eggs her broodies were setting on. Hopefully some hatch. Anyway, our new calls.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47992_100_0433.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47992_100_0434.jpg

Not the best photo, they are still a little shy. We picked them up on Sunday. These came from Ducklover in IL. Thank you Ducklover!!(I hope I spelled it right)
I bet these came from duckluck?????
The better have or I want my call ducks back!

OOOOPS! I'm sorry! I was having a brain spasm. I love the replacements and couldn't be happier with them. I just couldn't remember the user name.
hide.gif
Her name is Gem. That I do remember
smile.png

Quote:
OOOOPS! I'm sorry! I was having a brain spasm. I love the replacements and couldn't be happier with them. I just couldn't remember the user name.
hide.gif
Her name is Gem. That I do remember
smile.png

Yep! It's duckluck!
Just pullin your leg
wink.png
They are adorable!

I have absolutely no clue where Rockford is...

Last edited by a moderator:
ducklover1
Today 8:33 pmYour 5 hours away...

Didn't know Rockford was up by Chicago I thought it was by Springfield.

Yeah, Rockford is only like 20 min from the Wisconsin border. It is a very hard city to live in. Especially if your a country person. I do have some land and am zoned ag, but I am still in the middle of a neighborhood. The next neighbor is only 100 ft away.

What color calls do you raise? I am saving my money for a nice butterscotch and chocolate to replace the trio my daughter lost. Not many people around me raise the chocolates. If you can find them locally their type is really to be desired and they are pricey. I would rather travel 3 hours to find quality.

These are the ones we just lost. I have 8 eggs left from their nests in the incubator. According to the chick candle pics, I estimate the eggs are around day 14-15.

Chocolates
47992_sspx0228.jpg

Our first pair
47992_101_2087.jpg

This was one of the broodies. She is a call mix. A little bigger than a call.
47992_100_0466.jpg

The other broody was a call mix too. She was a black bibbed and cuddly. I don't have a pic of her.

Donnavee..Thank you for your kind words. I am sorry about your hen too. GREAT job with the hatch. Those babies are precious! I am sweatin my hatch. I have all fingers and toes crossed.​

I just hatched a little mystery Call from my mismatched breeding pen. Daddy is a Self-Black, mommy is either a Blue Bibbed or a Butterscotch (I'm leaning towards the Butterscotch, BUT the Blue Bibbed DOES have some Butterscotch in her background too...none of them are exactly "pure" colors!). So far this year, all I've hatched are Blue and Black Bibbeds and Blue Fawns from this pen. Opened up my hatching tray this morning and found two Blue Bibbeds and this interesting little Buff-colored duckling!
smile.png

StrangeCall1.jpg

StrangeCall2.jpg

StrangeCall3.jpg

I'm still figuring out the humidity in my antique cabinet incubator, so these guys did all hatch a little bit "sticky".
sad.png
The mystery duckling doesn't appear to the a Butterscotch - it almost looks Dusky-based, as it has no faint markings at all, just a solid, even, warm buff....
idunno.gif

I'd post a picture of the parents, but I think y'all are getting sick of seeing them on this thread!
big_smile.png
The Black drake and the Butterscotch hen are both from duckluck.
smile.png

Last edited:
calls.jpg

Oliver and Sammy would like to say hi

Sammy is a mystery. They are a year old, but Sammy has severe angel wing...and now he/she refuses to bathe. His/her tail feathers have sometimes curled and sometimes not so I can't guess his/her sex by that. I can sex ducklings but never an adult. Can someone tell me how?

Picture019-5.jpg

This is my other boy Willie

black.jpg

This is a 2 week old mystery.

Picture006-8.jpg

He is definitely a male. He looks just like....

Picture004-9.jpg

Louie, the black and white one here! (we've had a LOT of rain in the last month so they look like a hot mess in these pics!)

So, first I'd like to know the best way to sex adult calls. I'm beginning to think Sammy might be female and the little duckling above IS Louie's. Second, does anyone else think that duckling look like a call?

Back
Top Bottom