Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Pics
Since you breed them yourself, which male should I keep? All are males besides the two that look like the last one I posted (blue fawn).
They are still young - 12 weeks, but I have to get rid of all but one male before winter hits. I don't have enough girls to sustain that many.
If possible I would wait until the drakes are done getting their adult color before deciding who to keep.

hey all, just found this thread and am needing some advice on hatching these little guys in an incubator. the eggs i got (14 in all ) are pet quaility. am concerned about humidity... as i've read so many conflicting info about this. some say 20%, some 60-70% and some say even higher. also some people lay their eggs on the side, while others swear by incubating them in an egg carton (pointy end down), some hand turn while others use an automatic turner.

i've hatched out: chickens, quail, and pheasants.... any advice? please?

thanks,

don

Any that you would say no to right away? Keeping 7 drakes is really hard when I only have two hens
tongue.png
Well, if you wanted to do an initial cut then I would keep the ones that are smallest with the shortest bills. Then after they got their color you could choose the best colored male.

hey all, just found this thread and am needing some advice on hatching these little guys in an incubator. the eggs i got (14 in all ) are pet quaility. am concerned about humidity... as i've read so many conflicting info about this. some say 20%, some 60-70% and some say even higher. also some people lay their eggs on the side, while others swear by incubating them in an egg carton (pointy end down), some hand turn while others use an automatic turner.

i've hatched out: chickens, quail, and pheasants.... any advice? please?

thanks,

don

I hatched some pet quality Calls from a batch of eggs I bought online back in June. I had the humidity at 55% for incubation and then brought it up to 75% to 80% for lockdown. They were laid on their sides, I turned them by hand three times a day, and let them cool down a bit while I misted them on the last turning each day. 11 out of my 24 eggs made it to lockdown, but only 7 hatched. I read in another thread on BYC where people were putting a small hole in the air sac end when they put their Call eggs in to lockdown, and I wish I had done that for my eggs. 4 of them pipped internally, but didn't chip the shell and it was too late for them by the time I tried to intervene, and of course it looked like they would have been the best quality out of the bunch since they had very round little heads and incredibly small bills. That was just how my hatch turned out. I don't think I would do anything different next time except for maybe poking some holes at lockdown. Someone with more experience may have better advice.

This afternoon I had Bunny out in the yard and she pulled a yellow feather off a dog toy. I took a video of her walking around, looking so proud with it dangling from her mouth.
love.gif

Last edited:
Well, if you wanted to do an initial cut then I would keep the ones that are smallest with the shortest bills. Then after they got their color you could choose the best colored male.
_MG_5488_zps74b7208a.jpg
This would be the smallest boy I have. My white bibbed blue boy is one of the largest. My two girls are quite tiny.
_MG_5622_zpsaa7015fc.jpg
I have 3 boys like this and all are quite large.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom