Daily Duck Egg Report for 2016

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tevyes Dad, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    I don't know if I have keen observational skills, a vivid imagination, or I am just delusional, but it all seems like daytime TV to me. [​IMG]"Ducks of our lives", "As the Bird Yearns", "Melrose Drakes"

Edit: Fine... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1072884/ducks-of-our-lives-soap-opera [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. LeannS

LeannS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
    Yesterday I was expecting 4 duck eggs but only got 3 eggs. With the way the weather is , I feel the need to walk, so I walk out to the duck pen, even at night or early morning at 3 A.M. checking on the ducks. I always let them know when I am coming by talking. to them. To day I put 1 bale of alfalfa hay in their stall so they can keep busy since they have been busy eating the straw. I got 5 duck eggs so far and I have few hours until midnight. I keep a Diary on their egg report so I can compare. So Dinner I had French bread made of 3 eggs, organic bread, cinnamon ,sugar, in the fry pan using coconut oil. They might very well make it to 6 eggs by midnight.

3. tomynoks

tomynoks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    WA state USA
    My ducks can be sporadic!!! It is recommended to have 17 hrs of light on them for optimal egg production... One thing I didn;t know is that you should add light both in the morning and at night, starting and stopping at the same time every day to equalize production. I;m going to get a timer and do just that. I got 9 eggs one day from 12 hens, then just 3 the next day.. I'm back to 5 yesterday and at least one Cayuga is laying for the first time!!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Your dinner sounds so yummy. and Congrats on your eggs I am still waiting for my Muscovy's to start back laying and with the weather we're having it maybe a while. Thankfully some of my chickens are laying though.

5. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    So far Rhiannon is plugging away... 4 eggs in 4 days... Everyone else is still on duck holiday. (No relation to the 19th century friend of Wyatt Earp.)

6. LeannS

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
    I have the light on at one part of the pen, for heat. but they can go to a darker place if they want too. Now the temp. is
    around 30. at the light. Yesterday after putting the bale of alfalfa in their pen, with in two hours their poop was green.
    They are also tolerating me better, since I am in their pen many times a day & night.

7. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Duck number two kicked in: Dove... Yay! Rhiannon is on day 5 with no stop and Dove kicked out a very slightly greenish 52g (chicken medium) egg. I think that is the smallest egg to date (other than Tevye's two) but hey she is just a little runner and it is her first day back on the job. So now I am up to 2 eggs out of 10 ducks. Our current time sunrise to sunset: 8:59.

8. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Duck #3 kicked in today. [​IMG] Entie, our smallest runner, shamed Rhiannon and Dove today by dropping an 84g egg. (Rhiannon's was 72g and Dove's was 58g.)

9. LeannS

Nov 16, 2015
    Wapato, Washington USA
    Have you ever seen what your Runner has to go through to lay an egg ? It is like a Female giving birth
    to a baby. This morning I went out at 5 A.M. as usual to check the ducks and give them fresh warm water and feed. Then I went out side the coop and watched them through a plexe glass window.
    The Indian Runner went straight to the warm water , drank, and then walks around, restless, like she usually does just before laying an egg. She goes to a nest box, with the company of two other Swedish ducks.
    The two try to comfort her by picking up straw for her. The Indian Runner keeps trying to get comfortable
    on her nest box. She then strain`s, and it takes a while. Just thinking, they go through this every day.

The other day, I only got 2 eggs instead of 4 eggs becdause I had stressed them out by catching each of the 6 to examine them.

10. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana

Yes I have. It is amazing. But even more amazing was when Noir (my black runner) stood up super straight then tilted backwards and shot an egg out frontwards!!! The top of her tail was touching the floor about 3” in front of her feet!!! She swivelled just like a "happy bird"

[​IMG]

:lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by