Daily Duck Egg Report for 2016

One of my 7-month-old runners laid her first egg on January 25th, and since then I've been getting one lovely white 68-76g egg almost every day (right around 5/week). I was thinking once one of them started up, the rest would join in fairly quickly, but so far it's still just the one!

One of my 7-month-old runners laid her first egg on January 25th, and since then I've been getting one lovely white 68-76g egg almost every day (right around 5/week). I was thinking once one of them started up, the rest would join in fairly quickly, but so far it's still just the one!

You're up north like I am. With no supplemental light, our days are still too short. I am still at 3/4 out of 10. By the beginning of spring I expect all of them to be in full production or it will reflect poorly on their annual evaluations. And annual evaluations drive meal worm budgets.
lau.gif

You're up north like I am.  With no supplemental light, our days are still too short.  I am still at 3/4 out of 10.  By the beginning of spring I expect all of them to be in full production or it will reflect poorly on their annual evaluations.  And annual evaluations drive meal worm budgets. :lau

Ha! That's true enough... to be honest, I'm surprised the one started; I wasn't expecting eggs for another month or two! I just expected them to all start closer together

So after candling yesterday, I notice that one of the two remaining eggs wasn't moving properly, I checked again this morning... It's gone. This is my worst set ever. Started with 24. 4 were duds, 1 fertile but with an internal crack and 19 good ones. Now I'm down to 1 due the 28th and 1 due March 4th.... Grrrrrr

So after candling yesterday, I notice that one of the two remaining eggs wasn't moving properly, I checked again this morning... It's gone. This is my worst set ever. Started with 24. 4 were duds, 1 fertile but with an internal crack and 19 good ones. Now I'm down to 1 due the 28th and 1 due March 4th.... Grrrrrr

Drat! Sorry to hear this!
fl.gif
Hope these 2 are out & about with no issues!

Oops. Posted on wrong thread. Was supposed to be on the 2016 HAL!

My girls just hit 7 months old in December. My first layer started in December. It was almost another month before my second hen started and then another month after fo the third hen. My biggest hen hasn't laid yet but she takes a turn sitting in the layer box just like everyone else.

My first two layers are the smallest of the flock.

First ever two-egg day! They were in side-by-side "nests" (I don't have nest boxes, but I made a little dip in the straw in the back of their house that one of them used, and the second one dug her own right next to it), and one of them was slightly smaller, pointier on one end, and waaay dirtier.

Back
Top Bottom