Dairy goat vaccinations

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bock, Feb 20, 2012.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have a 2 week old alpine, and a 3 week old nubian. Their moms were both vaccinated for CDT and given Bose before giving birth, and the kids were also vaccinated for CDT at a few days old. I am reading to give them one more booster. However, I have talked to a vet as well, who recommends we vaccinated monthly for the next few months.

For someone who leans toward the natural side, and has a holistic vet for my dogs and cats, this seems excessive. I want them to be protected, but I don't want to damage their immune system or anything. If they produced antibodies with the first vaccine, I really don't think immunity will just "go away" every month. How often do you guys vaccinate?

Also, are there any more vaccinations I should consider giving them? I have read white muscle disease and pasteurella in my goat book. Do you guys know of any good resources? Thank you!

2. BonneTerreChick

BonneTerreChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not sure, but from what I remember.....

If the mother is vaccinated regularly then kids get BOSE(only if your area is selenium deficient) after birth (1-3 days) and again in two to three weeks, then annually thereafter. And CDT at 3-4 weeks and 3-4 week later, and prior to disbudding/dehorning(if you do that, many dont) and then annually.
    If the doe isnt vaccinated regularly, my book suggests at birth, 4, 8 and 12 months. I am not sure about this because our girls are vaccinated annually and so I havent had to talk to the vet about it.

We give BOSE and CDT annually for adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by