Dairy Goat

All I know is hand milking daily at 6 am is one of the most relazing experiances of my life. I got really fast I was milking an alpine doe though. I don't know how my farm hands would work on a small doe.

Henry

Yup My favorite types they are super large but I love them I want large goats because mini goats teats are too small for me to milk with my giant hands LOL.

Henry

Quote:
I got mine online, just google milk stand, or go look on Ebay. Having something to eat helps keep them calm while you milk, especially the first timers.

My sweet hubby built my stanchion for me last weekend. We still haven't attached the feed bucket, so I have to take breaks and let the doe eat for a few bites, then go back to milking.

stanchion.jpg

stanchion2.jpg

stanchion3.jpg

Good luck with your goat choice! We raise Saanen dairy goats, their mild mannered (usually) and good with their young (mostly). As to the fencing thing, i agree with Miss Priss, our goats mow through the electric fence as if it wasn't there. The Tractor Supply fencing panels work well, and a hot wire keeps them from trying to go over or under.
As to the number, again go with more than one, one lonely goat gets loud and rowdy and you'll be hunting for them at milking time (they make pretty dents on the tops of unsuspecting cars).
And a personal note, choose a doe with mid sized teats, i got snuckered into taking one with huge ones and my hands ached after 2x daily milkings! Get something that works well for you. And home made milk stands are pretty simple if your crafty. Again- Good luck!

You asked if goats would get along with horses, chickens, etc. My experience has been that goats get along with anybody who wants to get along with them. I have heard that sometimes people keep a goat with a racehorse, just to keep it company and keep it calm. My goats ignore the chickens. Dogs are the only thing you have to watch around goats. There is a natural prey-predator relationship there. My dog gets along with them just fine, but each dog needs to be convinced that the goats are just part of his pack, and he's not to hurt them or chase them.

Goats have strong personalities. They are not dull witted creatures like cows. They are kind of half way between a dog and a cat. They can be real buddies (like dogs), but they are also pretty self-centered (like cats).

Kate, that is a very fine looking goat milking stand! Hat's off to your hubby!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I feed 2 quarts of feed a day each and a pad of hay.

In the morning they get a scoop of sweet feed 16% protein and a few alfalfa cubes. They forage all day. The they get a scoop of sweet feed and some regular goat ration and a pad of hay.

They also get treats of vegetables and anything else I think they will like.

With milk goats they need the calcium for them to make milk and I feed my Nigerians and
Alpines alfafa pellets and its good for them ...I feed more pellets than feed as it helps them make more milk. A good feeding program is good for goats you just dont want to overfeed them. I personally like the Alpines and Nigerians ...also I am acquiring a LaMancha buck soon to breed to my Alpines as the La Mancha is a very mild mannered goat and I cant wait. I also have a milk cow...Sometimes I let my does raise their babies and then sometimes I dont. If you plan to milk get a goat with good size teats, it sure makes milking easier. I have some with tiny teats and I let them raise their babies. The next year the teats are in better shape tomilk and it sure helps. Good luck in the choice you make and dont overfeed . I do leave alfafa pellets out for my girls all the time as right now we cant get alfafa hay anywhere around here. I wish I could.

Back
Top Bottom