Dairy Goat

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
I have been toying with the idea of getting a doe for milk. Can I just get one? What breeds are good? Is it hard to milk her?

I buy goat's milk and love it. Would I need to keep her in a separate pasture from my horses?

All I know Is a i want some and I think they should be kept in pairs either two does or a weather and a doe.

henry

Last edited:
I have 6. Goats are very social. If they don't have 1 or 2 companions they can get bored very easily. Bored goats are mischevious and destructive. Make sure you have a strongly fenced in area for them. They can climb and love to climb. If they get out they will eat every green thing in their path. They can destroy alot in a very short time. Not to mention leaving scuffs and hoof prints as they climb up and stand on the roof of your car and trucks.

But don't let that frighten you! I love my goats. When the does are milking I get a gallon every morning and every night form each of them. as long as theyhave other goat friends to play with you will not have one minutes trouble with them being occupied and busy.

Just remember good welded wire fencing at least 4 ft high and a strand or two of electric fencing is a good start for keeping them in the area you want them in. they learn to respect the electric fences very quickly.

Goats are also very smart. Too smart sometimes. the are also friendly and have wonderful personalties.

Before you buy a dairy goat have the seller put them on the milking stand. handle the goat. Touch her udders. See if she will let you milk her. If not, say thank you and walk away. There is no fun in fighting a goat that will not be milked without a struggle. You or her will end up getting hurt. You will tire of the milking chore and go sour on the entire process quickly!

Also keep in mind goats are not grazing animals. They eat brush and low hanging trees and bark. They only graze when there is nothing else for them to eat. So don't put them in an over grown field and expect them to eat all the grass and be happy. They need goat feed. They need some sweet feed for good rich milk. They need a pad of hay daily. They love to eat and spend every waking moment looking for things to eat. feeding time after a day of foraging is like a feeding frenzy. You would think they had not eaten in days. LOL

I have around 30 goats and ADORE them. Not all of mine are dairy, but we are milking 8 of them 2x a day. We pastuerize the milk and bottle raise the kids on it.
You can see / read about them on our site if you're interested. The dairy breed we raise are Nubians, they're my favorite.
http://www.rollfarms.com/

kritter11 - I love your goats! You're in Indiana, right? We're moving there as soon as our GA property sells - near Washington/Jasper.

sweetshoplady - Prissy and kritter have great advice. I just began milking one of my Nigerian Dwarf/Pygmy cross does. My pure ND does just freshened and will be added to the program once their kids are 2 weeks old. Quite an adventure.

I think full sized goats would be MUCH easier to milk (itty bitty titties on these minis). But still, I'm a newbie and it only takes about 3 mins to get a 1/2 pint out of my 'not so dairy' doe. I have to milk one handed because my left hand is not cooperating with the idea. DH is looking into a milker for me.

On the horses thing - I won't ever put my goats with my horses. Too much risk with an animal we put too much into. I can see my horses playing 'goatie soccer' in my mind's eye - not good!

We have 7 goats currently we do not milk them as they are very hard to handle. What i am commenting on is we had three goats when my daughter got her horse 9two year old0 Her paddock was not ready when she was delivered so they put her in our goat pasture. She got along fine with the goats. when DD pasture was completed they took the horse home. Problem was she kept breaking out to come back over here to be with the goats. When we added pigmys to the mix there were no problems with the horse. of course she was alone.

You will need at least two goats. They really don't do as well when kept alone. You can get two does, or a doe and a wether (castrated male).

Have the person you buy the goat from teach you how to milk, you need to know how to milk properly for the health of your doe's udder.

Try to find a doe that's a few years old, she'll know the drill, even if you don't. First fresheners can be a tad reactive.

Keep in mind that a doe will need to kid (freshen) to keep her in milk every year. That means at least two months of the year, you won't have milk, and you'll also need a plan of where to take her to be bred, and what you will do with the kids.

We have Nubians and La Manchas, you can take a look at
www.freewebs.com/ksacresgoats

Thanks so much.

Kritter - Love your site and all your animals. My Grandpa's older brother lived in Marion Indiana with his wife. We visited there many years ago. Caught fireflies in their backyard.

Miss Prissy, what percent protein on the sweet feed? do you mix it with the goat feed or just give it separately?

I am going to be putting up an electric poultry netting for my chickens as it will be 165' should be decent size. If I put some sort of shed in there would that work for housing? Will they get along with my chickens?

Back
Top Bottom