Dairy Goats

kaseythomas86

Songster
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
Alabama
I am wanting a dairy goat we have a 4ft tall chain link fence, will this keep a goat from escaping? Also what breed do you recommend? We have never had goats before my daughter is wanting one we considered the pygmy but I decided I wanted a breed that could contribute to the family with milk. Any advise would be great!! Thanks

I am wanting a dairy goat we have a 4ft tall chain link fence, will this keep a goat from escaping? Also what breed do you recommend? We have never had goats before my daughter is wanting one we considered the pygmy but I decided I wanted a breed that could contribute to the family with milk. Any advise would be great!! Thanks
Four foot tall fence should be fine, just be sure there are no holes or even a small amount of space under neath that they can escape. For every goat you own you need about 2 acres. The best way to manage your field is to do rotational grazing, which reduces the wormload. Goats are herd animals,never (EVER) get one goat. Its best to get three. You can even just get one doe then two wethers, but if you dont have the space just get two goats.
I have met pygmies in the past and they are little devils. Maybe thats just my experience, so dont listen. However, miniature breeds have a difficult time kidding and generally are not good for first timers. I would recommend lamanchas or nubians. those are each calm goats who produce a lot of milk. However, ask the person you are buying from how much milk they give. Never assume they are going to be top milkers. If they are FFs (first fresheners), ask about the dam and the sire's dam's production.
I've learned its best to buy a doe with at least a month left to kid. The change in environment can cause problems with kidding if they are too late in the gestation.

Back
Top Bottom